KILGALLIN, CHARLES J.
- Born: 1856c Died: -
Architect or engineer, of Sligo. Charles J. Kilgallin was a son of Charles J. Kilgallin, of Abbeyville, Sligo, the contractor for St Mary's Catholic cathedral, Sligo, built to designs of GEORGE GOLDIE between 1867 and 1875. He was a brother of P.J. KILGALLIN . It may have been he, rather than his father, who supervised the erection of St Mary's Presbytery, Sligo, to designs by GOLDIE & CHILD in 1878-80.(1) He subsequently worked in London and is described in the 1891 census as an architect, aged thirty-five and single, living in his brother-in-law's house at 2 Station Road, Chiswick. He is described as 'an architect of note' in the obituary of P.J. Kilgallin in the Sligo Independent.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Patrick J. Kilgallin in the Sligo Independent, ? Mar 1944, and from John McTernon, Sligo.
(1) T. Kilgannon, Sligo and its Surroundings (1926), 163
1 work entries listed in chronological order for KILGALLIN, CHARLES J.
|Building:||CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, TEMPLE STREET, CATHEDRAL PRESBYTERY (RC)|
|Nature:||By Goldie & Child with Charles J. KilGallin.|
|Refs:||T. Kilgannon, Sligo and its Surroundings (1926), 163|