Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter, builder and timber merchant, of Dublin, active from the 1790s until the 1830s. Nicholas Kildahl was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin at Midsummer 1789 as a member of the Guild of Carpenters by Grace Especial.(1) He was a subscriber to William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).   According to the recollections of his fellow tradesmen in 1834, he employed thirty men, had 'very extensive' business and retired in 1802.(2)

Addresses:(3) 4 Gloucester Street, 1790-1812; 2 Baggot Street, Macartney Bridge, 1813-1831.


(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 75,76; James Kildahl was similarly admitted at Michaelmas of the same year. S.A. Kildahl, presumably a son of one or the other, was admitted by virtue of Birth at Michaelmas 1812.
(2) Royal Irish Academy Haliday MS 4B 31;  here his address is given as Moss Street.
(3) From Wilson's Dublin Directory.