Architect, 'CE', measurer and valuator, of Dublin, who exhibited designs at the Royal Hibernian Academy between 1838 and 1853. According to the Post Office Directory Kelly was architect to the Dublin & Drogheda Railway Co. in 1844; in July 1843, he had written to The Builder about the Railway's Malahide Estuary Viaduct. From circa 1849 until circa 1851 he was in charge of work at Glenstal Castle, Co. Limerick. His death at the age of forty on 10 May 1855 at 43(sic) Upper Gloucester Street is recorded in the Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal.
Three admissions of a John Kelly to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture are recorded in 1822: on 28 March, 25 April and 28 November. A John Kelly was also admitted on 4 March 1813.
Addresses: 192 Great Britain Street, 1838-1840; 47 Marlborough Street, 1841; 41 Marlborough Street and 44 Upper Gloucester Street, 1843; 45 Upper Gloucester Street and 43 Marlborough Street, 1845-1856.
'Design for a Villa' (1838, no. 199); 'Design for Houses to be erected at Rathgar, County of Dublin' (1840, no. 322); Glenstal Castle, 'now being erected by John Kelly, Architect' (1849, nos. 220,256); 'Design for a Railway Station' (1849, no. 443); 'Royal Hotel and Terrace, Malahide' (1850, no. 335; 1853, no. 252).
B 1, 29 Jul 1843, 299.
RHA 1849, nos. 220,256; M. Tierney & J. Cornforth, 'Glenstal Castle, Co. Limerick', Country Life 156, 3 Oct 1974, 936.
Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 18 (Jun 1855), 217.
MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
RHA Index, II, 146.
Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1841).
IB 69, 11 Jun 1927, 433.
Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.