JURY, PERCY MORGAN
- Born: 1875 Died: 1945
Architect, of Belfast. Percy Morgan Jury, a son of W.J. Jury, owner of the Imperial Hotel, Belfast, was born at Brooklands, Belfast, in 1875, and served a five-year apprenticeship to WILLIAM BATT . (1) In about 1901 he formed a partnership with WILLIAM BLACKWOOD BLACKWOOD . By 1926 Blackwood was working from London, but the firm of BLACKWOOD & amp; JURY was carried on in Belfast by Jury and by ARTHUR EDWARD JURY , who joined the practice in 1934, until 1973. Percy Morgan Jury ceased to practice in 1945 and died the same year.(2) He was appointed architect to the united dioceses of Down, Connor, and Dromore circa 1926(3) and held the post until 1939 or later.(4)
RIAI: elected member, 4 Nov 1901, having been proposed by MATTHEW ALEXANDER ROBINSON , seconded by NICHOLAS FITSIMONS and WILLIAM JOHN GILLILAND ;(5) membership lapsed, 1915; reinstated, 1924;(6) still a member in 1942 but not in 1947.
RSUA: member by 1937.
Address: 41 Donegall Place, Belfast, 1901 or 1902 until death.
See WORKS; see also works of BLACKWOOD & amp; JURY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from RIAI and RSUA lists of members and from Paul Robert Millar's RIBA dissertation on aspects of the early work of Blackwood & Jury, 1993, transmitted by C.E.B. Brett.
(1) IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(2) Note by Hugh Dixon in B of I files, under Dunmurry, Co. Antrim; his date of death is inferred from the fact that his wife was a widow when she died in 1947.
(3) Irish Church Directory (1927), 71.
(4) Irish Church Directory (1939), 71.
(5) RIAI general meeting minutes, 4 Nov 1901, 363.
(6) JRIAI (1925), 7
4 work entries listed in chronological order for JURY, PERCY MORGAN
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK, NO. 002 & 4|
|Nature:||Pair of red brick semi-detached houses, for James Hetherington.|
|Refs:||Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 52-3|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CASTLE LANE, BRANDS & NORMAN|
|Nature:||'Faience building', demolished 1983.|
|Refs:||Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 50|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MYRTLEFIELD PARK, NO. 048 (SHANGARRY)|
|Nature:||Arts & Crafts style house, designed for himself but sold to Thomas Somerset.|
|Refs:||Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 140; C.E.B.Brett notes, citing Paul Robert Millar, 'Blackwood and Jury - aspects of their early work', RIBA dissertation, 1993|
|Building:||CO. DOWN, DROMARA, RECTORY|
|Nature:||Repairs and decoration.|
|Refs:||IB 82, 8 Jun 1940, 390|