Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. Richard Johnston may have been a son of the builder GEORGE JOHNSTON GEORGE JOHNSTON , as he is recorded in the directories as living in the same house during the 1850s. He is probably the Richard Johnston who was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 1 December 1836 and was awarded one of eight unclassified premiums on 14 December 1837.(1). In 1845 he exhibited a 'Design for a Gothic Castellated Entrance' at the RHA(2) and in 1849 a 'Design for a villa in the Tudor Style'.(3) In 1853 an 'R. Johnston' was awarded the second prize in the competition for a new savings bank in James's Street, Dublin.(4)

Johnston was elected a member of the Kilkenny and South East of Ireland Archaeological Society on 7 September 1853, having been proposed by JAMES GEORGE ROBERTSON JAMES GEORGE ROBERTSON ,(5) and presented the Society with a set of drawings of Jerpoint Abbey the following year.(6) His plan, elevation and description of the ancient doorway at Killeskin Church, Co. Laois, and of the sedilia at Holy Cross Abbey, Co. Tipperary, were published in The Builder in 1854.(7)  He was probably the father of GEORGE LEOPOLD JOHNSTON GEORGE LEOPOLD JOHNSTON , who was living in his house in 1886.

AAI: 'R. Johnston' present at inaugural meeting, 13 October 1872.(8)

Addresses:(9) Leinster Road, Rathmines, <=1845->=1849; 93 Leinster Road, Rathmines, 1853-1861; 151 Leinster Rd, 1862-1891.



(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) No. 428.
(3) No. 453.
(4) B 11, 26 Feb 1853, 141.
(5) JRSAI 2 (1852-3), 375.
(6) JRSAI 3 (1854), 78.
(7) B 12, 7 Jan,15 Apr 1854, 2,195.
(8) IB 14, 15 Oct 1872, 280.
(9) From RHA Index, III, 124, and Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for JOHNSTON, RICHARD [3]

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1853
Nature: Awarded 2nd prize in competition.
Refs: B 11, 26 Feb,22 Oct 1853, 141;  Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 16 (Mar 1853), 116.