JERVOIS, WILLIAM SAMPSON
- Born: 1860 Died: 1931
Architect, of Armagh. Sampson Jervois, the second surviving son of Francis Jervois, MD, of Killeagh, Co. Cork, and his wife Eleanor Eyre, daughter of Maj. Robert Hedges Maunsell of Youghal, was born in Co. Cork on 1 September 1860. He served a four-year pupillage with THOMAS DREW and then became an assistant in the office of WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL at 5 Leinster Street, Dublin, which is given as his address in the lists of RIAI probationers between 1886 and 1898. According to his application for membership of the RIAI in 1899, he acted as Drew's clerk of works on 'two important buildings'; one of these was the Kilkenny lunatic asylum.
In 1899 Jervois was appointed diocesan district architect for the Church of Ireland dioceses of Armagh and Clogher and Down, Connor and Dromore. He collaborated with RICHARD CAULFIELD ORPEN , who had also worked in Drew's office, on a design for the Primate Alexander Synod Hall in Armagh in 1911.(1) He retired from the position in 1925 or 1926,(2) when he was succeeded by HENRY CHUDLEIGH DORMAN at Armagh and Clogher and PERCY MORGAN JURY at Down, Connor and Dromore. He died on 26 March 1931, survived by his wife, Anne Beatrice, daughter of Henry Beasley, of Wicklow, whom he had married in circa 1894, by his son, Henry Sampson, and his daughter, Nancy Helena.
RIAI: probationer, <=1886-1898; allowed preliminary exam, 2 December 1889;(3) elected member, 1899, having been proposed by Thomas Drew, seconded by William Mansfied Mitchell and Richard Caulfield Orpen; raised to fellow, 1915;(4) resigned 1925.(5)
Addresses: 5 Leinster Street, Dublin, <=1886-1898; Armagh, 1899; 3 Seven Houses, Armagh, 1899-1908; Abbey House, Armagh, 1909->=1924.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile), Burke's Irish Family Records (1976), 637, and RIAI membership lists.
(1) IA & C 1, 18 Feb 1911, 45(illus.).
(2) Irish Church Directory (1925), 48,59,71; his resignation from the RIAI in 1925 (see note 5 below) suggests the earlier date.
(3) RIAI council meeting minutes, 2 Dec 1889, 278.
(4) JRIAI (1915), 9.
(5) IB 67, 7 Mar 1925, 174.
13 work entries listed in chronological order for JERVOIS, WILLIAM SAMPSON
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, DUBLIN ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM (ST CANICE'S HOSPITAL)|
|Nature:||Clerk of works.|
|Refs:||Jones, with cryptic ref: 'in B [?Builder] from 1 Nov 1893 to 23 Aug 1897'|
|Building:||CO. DONEGAL, BUNDORAN, HOUSE|
|Refs:||B 94, 3 May 1902, 458|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PREMISES|
|Nature:||Erection of new premises to replace those recently destroyed by fire. Contractor: J. & R. Thompson.|
|Refs:||IB 45, 27 Aug 1903, 1956|
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, TERMONFECKIN, CHURCH OF ST FECHIN (CI)|
|Nature:||New tower & spire and other alts.|
IB 30 Jul,10 Sep 1904, 490,594; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 498; exterior church illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 124.
|Building:||CO. DOWN, DOWNPATRICK, CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)|
|Nature:||Repairs & restorations (including restoration of S.E. & NE pinnacles of tower, repointing of entire building, some interior replastering).|
|Refs:||B 102, 22 Apr 1905, 446; 103, 26 Jul 1912, ?.|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, BALLYHERRIDAN, HOUSE|
|Nature:||Tenders sought for building new dwelling house for William Menary at Balllyherridan about 1 mile from the city of Armagh.|
|Refs:||B 96, 26 Jun 1909, 771|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, BALLYHERRIDAN, HOUSE|
|Nature:||House to be built for Mr Menary 'about one mile from the city of Armagh'.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 26 Jun 1909, 406; B 96, 26 Jun 1909, 771|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, ABBEY STREET, CHURCH HOUSE|
|Nature:||With R. Caulfield Orpen. In memory of Bishop Alexander. FS laid 27 Jul 1912. Contractor: McLaughlin & Harvey, Belfast.|
Building News 100, 3 Mar 1911, 315; IA & C 1, 18 Feb 1911, 45(illus.); R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 46; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 107.
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, RICHHILL, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)|
|Nature:||New tower.Tenders invited, Jul -Aug 1912.
IB 54, 3,17 Aug 1912, 458,484; B 103, 26 Jul 1912, 125; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 519.
|Building:||CO. DERRY, BALLINDERRY, GLEBE HOUSE|
|Refs:||IB 55, 13 Sep 1913, 596|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, TYNAN, CHURCH OF ST VINDIC (CI)|
|Nature:||Repairs. Contractor: Lester Bros. Church reopened, Jan 1916.
|Refs:||IB 58, 29 Jan 1916, 54|
|Building:||CO. CAVAN, BALLYJAMESDUFF, JACKSON'S ALMSHOUSES|
|Nature:||Additions to same.
Letter re above from WSJ to Rev. G. Fleming Stuart, 20 Jul 1917, in PRONI, D2817/2/7 (see PRONI e-catalogue).
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, CASTLEBELLINGHAM, CHURCH (CI, KILSARAN PARISH)|
|Refs:||IB 62, 24 Apr 1920, 305|