JERMYN, FREDERICK HERBERT
- Born: 1872 Died: 1945
Architect, of Dublin. According to the English census of 1891, Frederick Jermyn, second son of William Jermyn, a carpenter and builder in Heigham, Norfolk, was born in Norwich in 1872. He is described in the census as an architect and surveyor's pupil. He had moved to Dublin and had apparently entered the office of WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN by 1895, when he exhibited a view of the south porch of Doolin's Church of Our Lady of the Rosary at Nenagh at the Royal Hibernian Academy.(2) In the same exhibition he also showed a drawing of the Casino at Marino.(3) The following year, when he exhibited a competition design for a seaside hotel(4) at the Royal Hibernian Academy, he gave as his address 12 Dawson Street, where Doolin had his office. He subsequently entered the office of JAMES FRANKLIN FULLER . He had become principal assistant by the time Fuller took him into partnership circa 1916, the partnership becoming known as FULLER & amp; JERMYN . Jermyn carried on the practice of Fuller & Jermyn after Fuller's death at the end of 1924 and until his own death in 1945.(5)
According to the Dublin census of 1911, Jermyn married his wife, Annie, circa 1899. At the time of the census they had a son, Frederick, and two daughters. The younger Frederick also became an architect and carried on his father's practice, which is still extant(1995).
RIAI: elected member 4 February 1924 (proposed by LUCIUS O'CALLAGHAN , seconded by CHARLES ASHWORTH and WILLIAM KAYE PARRY , having been 'for upwards of seven successive years in practice as principal').
Addresses: Work: 12 Dawson Street, 1896; 179 Great Brunswick (Pearse) St, 1916-1932; 202 Pearse St, 1932-1945.
Home: 52 Grosvenor Square, Rathmines, 1895; 90 Leinster Road, 1902;(6) 40 Leinster Road, Rathmines, 1911.
See WORKS; see also FULLER & amp; JERMYN.
(1) J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 9.
(2) Reproduced in IB 30, 1 Jul 1895, 161,165.
(3) This presumably the drawing reproduced in IB 30, 15 Jan 1895, 13,18-19.
(4) Reproduced in IB 31, 15 Oct 1896, 215,217,
(5) RIAI Year Book (1945), 16.
(6) Irish Times, 28 Feb 1902.
11 work entries listed in chronological order for JERMYN, FREDERICK HERBERT
|Building:||CO. DOWN, NEWCASTLE, SLIEVE DONARD HOTEL|
|Nature:||FHJ exhibits 'Competitive design for a Seaside hotel' - almost certainly the Sieve Donard Hotel - at RHA, 1895.|
|Refs:||RHA 1896, 439; IB 38, 15 Oct 1896, 214(illus.),217|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, SANDYFORD, MURPHYSTOWN ROAD, GLENCAIRN|
|Nature:||FHJ claims that he prepared plans for reconstruction of house and designed of study mantelpiece for Richard Croker in testimony re Croker's US estate, 1927. States that alterations cost £30,000.
Irish Times,17, 22 Mar 1927
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BLACKHALL PLACE, NO. 006 (CHEW & CO.)|
|Nature:||Additions. Cost: £983.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B22/15 and A09 (Feb 1915)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 034 (NATIONAL BANK)|
|Nature:||Extension of head office to Mssrs. Lucas's premises, Suffolk St.|
|Refs:||IB 67, 18 Apr 1925, ?; 76, 1 Dec 1934, 1038|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NASSAU STREET, NO. 046 (JAMMET'S HOTEL & RESTAURANT)|
|Nature:||Alts. to Kidd's premises to make new premises for Jammet Bros.|
|Refs:||IB 68, 24 Jul 1926, 587|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIDE STREET (& BISHOP STREET), PREMISES|
|Nature:||Being taken down to first floor and reconstructed. ?For Mssrs. Leighs? Builder: Murphy Bros.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARINO MART, NO. 026 (NATIONAL BANK)|
|Nature:||Builder: S.H. Bolton.|
|Refs:||IB 70, 23 Jun 1928, 550|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, NO. 064-65 (NATIONAL BANK)|
|Nature:||New. Builder: G. & T. Crampton, Ballsbridge.|
|Refs:||IB 71, 15 May 1929, 464|
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, URLINGFORD, NATIONAL BANK|
|Nature:||Builder: McLaughlin & Harvey.|
|Refs:||IB 72, 19 Jul 1930, 647|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH, NO. 371 (NATIONAL BANK)|
|Refs:||IB 72, 18 Jan 1930, 67|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, CLONSKEAGH, WHITEBEAM ROAD DEVELOPMENT|
|Nature:||New development for G. & T. Crampton. Contractor: G. & T. Crampton. Plans of revised layout submitted to Dublin Board of Public Health, Feb 1939.
Fingal County Council, Public Health Housing Collection, no. 1562; . IB 84, 12 Sep 1942, 324; Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 97-98(illus.),142-145(illus.)