Architect, of Dublin. Joseph Jarratt's origins are not known, nor has his relationship to THOMAS JARRATT been established; O'Dwyer suggests a connection with the Jarratt family who were weavers in Dublin, but he may equally well have come from England. The nature of his architectural training is not known. He was appointed deputy to THOMAS EYRE , the Surveyor General, in 1752 or 1753 and held this post until 1762 when he became Clerk and Inspector of Civil Buildings under the Barrack Board. There are frequent references to payments to Jarrett in Eyre's account book for the ten years he was in office. These payments are reimbursemeets for money laid out by Jarratt in connection with his duties. Most of the payments are 'for Labourers work' on Dublin Castle and other Crown properties in Dublin. Other payments are for expenditure in connection with the office itself: coal, candles, stationery and postage. 'Other small contingent services' for which Jarratt was reimbursed include such things as the purchase of trees, 'maiden earth' and hay seeds for the castle garden and giving a reward of £1.2s.9d to two soldiers for catching a thief who had stolen lead off the Castle buildings.
Although much of Jarrett's work was supervisory, he was also an architect in his own right. He is known to have been paid for plans of St Catherine's Church, Dublin, in 1761, and in 1766 he was presented with the Freedom of the Corporation of Carpenters 'in a Silver Box, in Consideration of his great Ability in Architecture, and strict Attention to Works of publick Utility'.
An album purchased in 1984 by the Irish Architectural Archive (Acc. 84/51) throws further light on his architectural work. The album is a randomly arranged scrapbook, consisting chiefly of plates from French and Italian books of Rococo and Baroque decoration interspersed with architectural drawings, to most of which Joseph Jarratt's signature has been added. The only signed drawing which is also dated is an elevation for a platform and plinth for the statue of George II in St Stephen's Green, dated 6 April 1756 and countersigned by the Lord Mayor and Sherriff of Dublin. Jarratt also appended his signature to an engraved elevation and plan of the Weavers' Hall in the Coombe of 1745, which, if his claim is valid, is his earliest known work. He also signed a drawing for a chimneypiece in the Weavers' Hall. There are several signed drawings for buildings at Dublin Castle: the improvements to the State Apartments of 1759 and the Guard House, completed in 1758. Other signed drawings include elevations of Latouche's Bank and of No. 9 St Stephen's Green (now the St Stephen's Green Club).
Jarratt died in Chequer Lane in May 1774. He was survived by his widow Sarah, who died in in Grafton Street in October or November 1784 at the age of sixty-seven. He was succeeded as Clerk and Inspector of Civil Buildings by THOMAS COOLEY.
Addresses: Castle Yard, 1760; Chequer Lane, 1768-1774.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from F. O'Dwyer, 'Making connections in Georgian Ireland', BIGS 38 (1996-97), 10-13, and M. Craig, Dublin 1660-1860, 166-167.
www.familysearch.org records the marriage of a Joseph Jarrett and Sarah Tuckin in London on 27 Dec 1735.
Eyre's account book and letter book are in the IAA, Acc. 86/149. For references to Joseph Jarratt in the former, see ff. 4,5,6,12,13,15,18,26,31,32,35,38,39,41,43,46,49,51,56,58,59,62,67,68,75,84,85,91,95,108,109,119,120,124,126; there is a single reference to Jarrat in Eyre's letter book at f.47.
JHCI VII, app. lvi (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44, who also cites 'Smyth').
Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 15-19 Jul 1766 (information from Rowena Dudley).
For a description of this album and its contents, see N. Sheaff, 'Jarratt and Rococo', Irish Arts Review I, no. 3 (Autumn, 1984) 50-51.
A second, companion album, of the same date and similarly bound, containing engravings, mostly of chimneypieces and from English and French sources, was acquired by the Irish Architectural Archive in 1991. Both albums were formerly in the Jesuit College, Tullamore.
Hibernian Journal, 16-18 May 1774 (information from Rowena Dudley).
Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 30 Oct-2 Nov 1784 (information from Rowena Dudley).
From Wilson's Dublin Directory.