Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor of Co. Laois, 1924-1947. Malachy Feehan, youngest son of James Feehan, an assistant county surveyor for Co. Laois, was born at Ballickmoyler, Co. Laois, in 1887. He was educated at Rockwell College and University College, Cork, obtaining the BE degree in 1917. He then worked on the construction of the new Wolfhill-Athy colliery railway in Co. Kildare. He had been appointed an assistant county surveyor for Co. Laois by 1922 and was promoted to the county surveyorship in 1924. He remained in the post until 1947. One of his elder brothers, John Feehan (1885-1962) was an assistant county surveyor in Co. Carlow. He died in February 1963, having been ill for some time before his death. He was survived by his wife.

ICEI:(1) elected associate member, 1920; raised to member, 1927; still a member in 1960.


All information in this entry unless otherwise indicated is from Brendan O'Donoghue, chiefly based on the obituary in the Leinster Express, 16 Feb 1963, and Thom's directories for 1922 and 1948.

(1) From lists of ICEI members in TICEI and Thom's directories.