IVORY, JOHN *
- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter, builder and timber merchant, of Dublin, active in the 1750s and 1760s.. In December 1756 John Ivory was paid for constructing a sewer 'thro' the store house [in Arsenal Yard, Dublin Castle] from the houses in Ship Street to the River'.(1) He was also involved in building work for the first Earl of Charlemont either at Charlemont House in the 1760s(2) and was paid for work done at the Rotunda Orchestra on 15 June 1763.(3) According to Casey, 'he was a speculative builder with interests in Liffey Street, Dorset Street and Moore Street', where he also had his timber yard. (4) Ivory conformed to the established church on 29 June 1768 and married Esther Crow, a widow, at St Audoen's church two days later, on 1 July.(5)
(1) IAA, MS. letter and account books of Thomas Eyre (Acc. 86/149), II, 109.
(2) Christine Casey, .‘Newly discovered building accounts for Charlemont House and the Casino at Marino’, Apollo 140 (1999), 47. (In The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 149, Casey states that Ivory was the principal carpenter for Charlemont House.)
(3) Rotunda MSS, Proceedings.
(4) Casey, loc. cit.
(5) Eileen O'Byrne & Anne Chamney, eds., The Convert Rolls (Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2005),129,372.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for IVORY, JOHN *
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, CHARLEMONT HOUSE|
|Nature:||JI principal carpenter for construction of same.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 149.