Engineer and architect, of Newbridge, Naas and Dublin. John Joseph (Jack) Inglis, son of John Inglis, a Scottish-born mercantile clerk and his wife, Rosanna, née Rahilly, from Cashel, Co. Tipperary, was born in Dublin on 22 December 1872. He began his training as a draughtsman and surveyor by spending a year with the Dublin ironmongers Hackett & Phillipson, followed by a further two years in the sanitary and building departments of Brooks, Thomas & Co., Dublin. During those three years he also attended classes in building construction and quantitity surveying at the Metropolitan School of Art and Kevin Street Technical College. He then spent seven years as a first-class draftsman for the Royal Engineers at the Curragh Camp. At some stage he began to build up a private practice. He is described as 'architect, Newbridge' in 1899, when he designed new houses for Newbridge Town Commissioners, under the provisions of the Housing of the Working Classes Act. He was appointed town surveyor for Naas on 7 August 1900 but only held the position until 1903 when he was succeeded by RICHARD HENRY CHAMPMAN HALL . By 1904 he had established an office in Nassau Street, Dublin. On 9 November 1904 he married Annie O'Reilly in the church of the Holy Family, Aughrim Street, and by the time of the 1911 census, had three children. His eldest child, THOMAS FRANCIS INGLIS , later practised as an architect in Dublin. His pupils and assistants included ARTHUR O'CONOR.
During the First World War Inglis enlisted and became a lieutenant in the London Sanitary Corps, later serving with the Royal Army Medical Corps (Territorial Force) in Egypt. For his services in Egypt he was awarded the OBE (Military Division) on 1 January 1919; at that time he was stationed at the Royal Army Medical School of Hygiene in Blackpool. He died in London in 1926.
ICEI: elected associate member, 1902; raised to member, 1911; no longer a member after end of First World War.
Addresses: Work: Town Hall, Naas, 1902; 18 Nassau Street, Dublin, <=1904->=1907; 5 Nassau St, <=1911->=1913; 36 Dawson Street, 1914.
Home: Rathgar Rd, Dublin, 1904; Cromerville, Palmerstown, 1907.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Catherine Porter (2009), grand-niece of John Joseph Inglis, from ICEI membership applications, III, 159, and from ICEI membership lists.
IB 41, 1 Aug 1899, ?.
Irish Times, 8 Aug 1900.
Jones received information about J.J. Inglis from T.F. Inglis, 28 November 1969, but this is now missing from the files.
Freeman's Journal, 8 Dec 1914,16 Jan,2 Feb 1915. (
TICEI 43 (1916-17), 226.
IB 46, 4 Jul 1904, 430; Thom's Directory(1907).
IB 46, 24 Sep 1904, 624.
Thom's Directory (1907).