- Born: - Died: 1850
Builder and architect, of Ann Street, Newtownards, Co. Down, extensively employed by the third Marquess of Londonderry. Campbell was working at Mount Stewart from 1825, when he carried out minor alterations, until the later 1840s, when he was in charge of building additions to the house, which may have been based to some extent on designs made earlier by WILLIAM MORRISON (d. 1838). He superintended the building of Garron Towers, Co. Antrim, for the Marchioness of Londonderry in 1848 and may also have had a hand in its design. He has been credited with the design of the Cleland Mausoleum at Dundonald, and several building developments, including the town hall, in Newtownards, Co. Down, which was part of the Marquess of Londonderry's estates. He died bankrupt in 1850.(1)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Anne Casement, 'William Vitruvius Morrison's scheme for Mount Stewart, County Down: was it ever realised?', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 41-44.
(1) Information from Anne Casement.