HURLEY, JOHN PINE
- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Cork. John Pine (or Pyne) Hurley was active as an architect in Cork from the 1850s or earlier until the 1870s. He is probably the J. Hurley, architect, of Cork, who exhibited 'architectural elevations' and a 'design of town hall, Cork', at the National Exhibition of the Arts, Manufactures & Products, Cork, in 1852.(1) His first major commission came in the spring of 1856 when Bishop Timothy Murphy appointed him architect for the new St Colman's College, Fermoy.(2) He is presumably the John Hurley who designed improvements to the chapel of St Mary's Convent, Cobh, in 1858(3) and who was placed first in the competition for designing the church of SS. Peter & Paul, Cork, the following year, although the church was actually executed to designs by EDWARD WELBY PUGIN. (4) In an account of the laying of the foundation of his Convent of Mercy at Bantry, Co. Cork, which appeared in the Cork Examiner on 18 November 1859, he is described as 'Mr. John Hurley, St Luke's, Cork, who from his extensive experience of ecclesiastical architecture, of which many proofs are now extant, has done all that could be desired to render this building a comfortable habitation for the pious community for which it is intended, and an ornament to the town itself'.(5) In 1867 he designed the new Catholic church and convent schools at Kanturk, Co. Cork.(6) He is listed as an architect in the Cork Mercantile Directory for 1863.
According to Forde, nothing is known of Hurley in Cork after the mid 1870s, and he is believed to have emigrated. Possibly he moved to Dublin first. A John Pim(sic) Hurley appears in the list of architects in the classified section of Thom's Dublin Directory for the years 1873 and 1874, with an address at 202 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin. This had been the address of CHARLES GEOGHEGAN until 1871, when Geoghegan moved to 205 Great Brunswick Street. However no John Pim Hurley is named at this address in the street directory section of the Post Office Directory for 1874. In the Post Office Directory for 1875, however, a John J. Hurley, architect, is to be found at 18 Clare Street.
Address: 3 Victoria Terrace, Summerhill, Cork, 1856-57.
(1) IALE I, 352.
(2) Rev. Robert Forde, 'Archbishop Croke and St. Colman’s', Mallow Field Club Journal No. 21 (2003), 37 – 56.
(3) B 16, 12 Jun 1858, 413.
(4) B 17, 2 Apr 1859, 241.
(5) Information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Apr 2011.
(6) IB 9, 15 Oct 1867, 269.
15 work entries listed in chronological order for HURLEY, JOHN PINE
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, SULLIVAN'S QUAY, TOWN HALL (PROPOSED)|
|Nature:||Competition entrant. Design exhibited at National Exhibition of the Arts, Manufactures & Products, Cork' in 1852.|
|Refs:||ALEI, I, 352. (For further refs. to this project, see B 7, 10 Feb 1849, 70; 9, 22 Feb,12 Jul,13 Dec 1851, 124,437,791; 10, 21 Feb 1852, 23.)|
|Building:||CO. CORK, COBH, COLUMBINE QUAY, QUEEN'S HOTEL|
|Nature:||New hotel for James Scott & Co, containing 'upwards of 50 bedrooms, drawing rooms and vapour baths, together with all the other applicances that could be expected or desired in a first-rate metropolitan establishment'. Also large banqueting room. Contractor: William Joyce. Lord Lieutenant had 'déjeuner' there, May 1855, but hotel did not open to public until 23 Jul 1855 under proprietorship of Robert Petman Hams. 'The new Queen's Hotel is almost half window. Small drawn-up piers separate a multitude of openings, and to crown the whole it is surmounted by a clumsy cornice and parapet.'|
B 10, 13 Nov 1852, 720; 13, 20 Oct 1855, 502; 15, 17 Jan 1857, 38; Cork Examiner, 18,25 May,2,25 Jul 1855 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Dec 2010).
|Building:||CO. CORK, FERMOY, ST COLMAN'S COLLEGE|
|Nature:||New college, for Bishop Timothy Murphy, Cloyne. Work started summer 1856. Formal opening, 24 Nov 1858 (after teaching had already started). Overall cost, including extension completed c. 1884: £20,00. Contractors: Walshe and Newstead.|
|Refs:||Cork Examiner, 1 Oct 1858 (nformation from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Mar 2012); Guy's City & County Cork Directory (1888), ?; Rev. Robert Forde, 'Archbishop Croke and St. Colman’s', Mallow Field Club Journal No. 21 (2003), 37 – 56 (information from Rev. James Field, St Colman's College).|
|Building:||CO. CORK, MACROOM, CHURCH (RC)|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for works at same.
Cork Examiner, 7 Aug 1857 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Feb 2011).
|Building:||CO. CORK, KILLEAGH, CHURCH (RC) AND SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||New church. FS laid 1 Jul 1857. Tenders invited for completion of church, Jan 1860; 'just completed', Feb 1862. ( Also schools but not clear whether they were also designed by JPH.)
|Refs:||Cork Examiner, 3 Jul 1857,9 Jan 1860 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Apr 2011); DB 4, 1 Feb 1862, 33.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, MACROOM, CONVENT OF MERCY & SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||New Mercy Convent & schools, to S of RC church, which they adjoin. Work to include a 'large addition to the present chapel, which will connect both buildings with each other'. Tenders invited, Aug 1857. FS laid 24 Aug 1857. In progress, May 1858, when expected to be complete 'in about 12 months'.|
|Refs:||Cork Examiner, 7,24 Aug 1857 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Feb 2011); B 12, 8 May 1858, 320.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, COBH, CONVENT OF ST MARY|
|Nature:||Imps. to chapel. Completed by May 1858. Stained-glass window (Agony in the Garden) by Edmundson & Son, Manchester.|
|Refs:||Cork Examiner May 19 1858; B 16, 12 Jun 1858, 413.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, ARAGLIN (KILWORTH), CHURCH (RC)|
|Nature:||New church of red sandstone with limestone dressings. Stained-glass windows by R.B. Edmundson, Manchester. Begun in Jun 1858. Interior not complete at time of consecration on 12 Sep 1858.
Cork Examiner, 15 Sep 1858 (nformation from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Mar 2011).
|Building:||CO. CORK, CHURCHTOWN, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (RC)|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for building new church, Mar 1858, and again, Apr 1860 .
Cork Examiner, 20 Jan,12 Mar 1858,11 Apr 1860 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Mar, May 2011); for photograph and description see www.buildingsofireland.ie .
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, SS. PETER & PAUL PLACE, CHURCH OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)|
|Nature:||Winning entrant in competition, but church built to designs by E.W. Pugin.|
|Refs:||B 17, 2,9 Apr 1859, 241,2581; DB 1, 1 May 1859, 59-60|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CHARLEVILLE, CONVENT OF MERCY|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for carrying out alts. & adds. amd fpr erecting 'new chapel and choir with schools and other works', Apr 1859.
Cork Examiner, 18 Apr 1859 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Mar 2011).
|Building:||CO. CORK, BANTRY, CONVENT OF MERCY|
|Nature:||New convent and schools. Tenders invited Jun 1859. FS laid 15 Nov 1859. Contractor: Richard Evans, Montenotte, Cork.
|Refs:||Cork Examiner, 6 Jun, 18 Nov 1859 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Apr 2011); DB I, 1 Dec 1859, 164.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, KANTURK, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC), CONVENT & SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||New church in transitional Gothic style with adjoining convent and schools. for Rev. Dr. O'Regan. Church completed 1867 at cost of £11,000. Convent and schools to cost £4,000. Builder: J.E. Devlin, Kanturk (who went bankrupt).
|Refs:||IB 9, 15 Oct 1867, 269; Irish Times, 30 Oct 1867; article by T.P. O'Neill in Irish Press, 8 Jan 1965.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)|
|Nature:||Interior alterations including division of interior into nave and aisles, removal of second communion rail.|
|Refs:||T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 86; information from Fr. Robert Forde.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, FATHER MATHEW QUAY, HOLY TRINITY CAPUCHIN FRIARY|
|Nature:||Proposed new friary, designed to wrap round church on 3 sides. FS laid 23 Sep 1866, but building only partially completed. New friary built next to church in 1880s.
Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 57-58.