HUGHES, WILLIAM JOHN
- Born: - Died: -
Architect, civil engineer and land surveyor, of Dublin, active in the 1830s and 1840s. William John Hughes is listed at various addresses in Westland Row between 1839 and 1845, variously described as architect, civil engineer, land surveyor and valuer of estates.
Some of the following references may be to the same person. A William Hughes was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 1 June 1826.(1) A William Hughes, junior, appears in Wilson's Dublin Directory in 1835, described as a land surveyor, and civil engineer at 48 Aungier Street, and a 'Hughes, architect' of 147 Great Brunswick Street is listed in the 1837 edition. The obituary of GEORGE PAPWORTH in The Builder in March 1855 quotes an assessment of Papworth's achievements by a 'W. Hughes, CE'.(3)
Addresses: 6 Westland Row, 1839-1841; 49 Westland Row, 1844; 50 Westland Row, 1845.
All information not otherwsie attributed is from Wilson's, Petigrew & Oulton's, Post Office and Thom's directories.
(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150, where he is described as 'an Irish civil engineer'; he is identified as 'W. Hughes, CE' in APSD, P, 40.