HILL, W.H., & SON
- Born: - Died: -
Architectural partnership of Cork, formed in 1899, when WILLIAM HENRY HILL  joined his father, WILLIAM HENRY HILL  in practice. After the death of William Henry Hill  in 1911, William Henry Hill  carried on the business under the same name. For a brief period from 1919 to circa 1922 Hugh William Flanagin was a partner in the firm, which was known for this period as W.H. Hill, Son, and Flanagin. After the death of William Henry Hill  in 1941 the practice was carried on by his partner John Wilkinson before being sold to William Brady later in the 1940s. William Brady's son, another William Brady, still (2000) practises under the name of W.H. Hill & Son from South Mall, Cork. According to him there are no longer any drawings in the office dating fromo the Hill era; some of them - those of buildings in Cork city itself - were given to the Cork Archives Institute.(1)
Pupils in the office of W.H. Hill & Son include DAVID WICKHAM AYRE.
For the purposes of this database all works by W.H. Hill & Son from 1899 until 1911 are listed under WILLIAM HENRY HILL  , and all works of W.H. Hill & Son and W.H. Hill, Son & Flanagin from 1912 until 1941 under WILLIAM HENRY HILL  . Works by the firm of W.H. Hill & Son from 1941 onwards are not listed.
(1) Information from Willaim Brady in conversation with Mark Ritchie, 6 Apr 2000.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for HILL, W.H., & SON
|Building:||CO. CORK, CARRIGTWOHILL, CHURCH OF ST DAVID (CI)|
|Nature:||New church to replace earlier one. Gothic, with apse at E end. Red sandstone with limestone dressings. FS laid by Lady Barrymore, 18 Sep 1903. Consecrated, 25 Jan 1905. (Closed for worship, 1995.)
Church of Ireland Gazette, 25 Sep 1903, ?; 27 Jan 1905, 87-88 (information from Raymond Refaussé, Representative Church Body Library, via Hugh Kavanagh, Mar 2015).
|Building:||CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI, TEMPLEBRADY PARISH)|
|Nature:||Proposed addition on N side of church. (Not executed.)
Proposed designs and accompanying letter, Mar 1911, in Representative Church Body Library, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/2011-2012 (last visited, Feb 2017).