- Born: - Died: -
Builder, of Cork. Samuel Hill was born in Co. Tyrone in 1850 or 1851 but moved with his parents to Cork at the age of three. (1) He was educated in Cork and apprenticed to a joiner there. In 1872, when he was only twenty-two, he set up his own joinery and contracting business, gradually expanding it until by 1900 he would sometimes be employing three hundred men at a time. His firm was responsible for erecting many important buildings in Cork including the Court House, the Great Southern & Western Railway station and the School of Art, as well as the Parknasilla Hotel in Co. Kerry. He is presumably the Samuel Hill who is named as the architect who remodelled and refitted the People's Refreshment Rooms at Lavitt's Quay, Cork., in 1873(2) and is listed as an architect in Guy's Directory of Munster for 1886.
The 1911 census records that Hill married his wife, Augusta Julia, in 1876 or 1877 and had thirteen children.
Address: Work: Anglesea Place and Victoria Road, Cork, 1900.
Home: 19 Wellington Road, Cork, 1911.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the profile of Hill in Modern Ireland: Men of the Period (London )193, which is illustrated with a portrait photograph.
(1) In his 1911 census return, however, Hill states that he was born in Cork City.
(2) IB 15, 15 May 1873, 140.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for HILL, SAMUEL
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, LAVITT'S QUAY, PEOPLE'S REFRESHMENT ROOMS|
|Nature:||Remodelling and refitting being undertaken.|
|Refs:||IB 15, 15 May 1873, 140|