HENDY, ARNOLD FRANCIS
- Born: 1894 Died: 1958
Architect, of Dublin. Arnold Francis Hendy is said to have been born in Plymouth in 1894, although there is no record of him in the English census of 1901. After serving with the Devonshire Regiment in Palestine and France during World War I, he entered the office of W.H. BYRNE & SON in Dublin. While he was there he became a student of the RIAI for two years, during which he won the Downes Bronze Medal for the session 1920-21(1) and the Institute Prize for the session 1921-22.(2) In 1924 he became an assistant in the office of KAYE-PARRY & ROSS and soon after was taken into partnership. Ross died in 1927, and Kaye-Parry, who spent the last years of his life in London, in 1932. Hendy carried on the practice under the same name until his own death in March 1958. The firm continued as Kaye-Parry, Ross & Hendy until at least 1965 and thereafter as Kaye-Parry & Partners until the early 1970s.
AAI:(3) elected member, 1919; ceased to be member in 1928. RIAI: admitted student, 1922;(4) elected member, 1925, proposed by RALPH HENRY BYRNE and seconded by THOMAS GEORGE SMITH and ROBERT GEORGE HOPCRAFT. (5) elected fellow, 1946, proposed by VINCENT KELLY , ALFRED EDWIN JONES and WILLIAM HENRY HOWARD COOKE. (6)
RIBA: elected licentiate, 9 Oct 1956, proposed by JOHN JOSEPH ROBINSON , PATRICK JOHN FITZGERALD MUNDEN , JOHN GEOFFREY BUTLER. (7)
Addresses:(8) Work: 6 South Leinster Street, 1956.
Home: 31 Upper Baggot Street, 1921; 1 Balscadden Terrace, Howth, 1922-27; 68 Circular Road North, 1928->=1934; Haverin Court, Churchtown, Dundrum, <=1948->=1956.
See WORKS; see also works of KAYE-PARRY ROSS & HENDY (excludes work carried out after the year of Hendy's death).
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Hendy in RIAI Year Book (1959), 9. Another obituary is in RIBAJ 66 (1958-59), 69.
(1) RIAI membership application form in Jones file; JRIAI (1924), 9.
(2) RIAI membership application form.
(3) Membership lists in AAI Green Books.
(4) JRIAI (1924), list of members.
(5) RIAI membership application form; JRIAI (1926), 5.
(6) Jones, source not given but presumably RIAI minutes.
(7) RIBAJ 63 (1955-56), 400.
(8) From Thom's directories and membership lists in AAI Green Books.
26 work entries listed in chronological order for HENDY, ARNOLD FRANCIS
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, MOUNT MERRION, MOUNT MERRION PARK HOUSING DEVELOPMENT|
|Nature:||Competition entrant; winner of 1st prize in class D (£800); also designed garage on Stillorgan Rd as part of scheme.|
|Refs:||Perspective view, sections & plans of house and bird's-eye view and plan of garage in promotional booklet Mount Merrion Park Residential Development Scheme(Housing Corporation of Great Britain Ltd., 1928) in IAA, RP.D.107.4|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, KILTERNAN, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE WAYSIDE (RC)|
|Nature:||By AFH of Kaye-Parry, Ross & Hendy. Builder: Townley, Drumcondra.|
|Refs:||IB 71, 27 Apr 1929, 380; RIAI Year Book (1959), 9.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES ROAD LOWER, NO. 164 (G.A. BRITTAIN)|
|Nature:||New premises. By AFH of Kaye-Parry & Ross. Builder: H. & J. Martin.|
|Refs:||IB 72, 25 Oct 1930, 964-967(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES ROAD LOWER, NO. 145 (BELL'S DYE WORKS)|
|Nature:||Premises. Builder: G. & T. Crampton.|
IB 75, 29 Jul 1933, 655; Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 88(illus.).
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, CHURCHTOWN, CHURCHTOWN ROAD, ARDTONA ESTATE|
|Nature:||Proposed development of estate in grounds of Ardtona. Proposal submitted to Dublin Baord of Public Health, May 1934.
|Refs:||Fingal County Council, Public Health Housing Collection, no. 1276; block plans, s. & d. March 1937 in ?|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, SANDYFORD, ENNISKERRY ROAD, NATIONAL SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||Reconstruction. For Very Rev. Canon John Kelly. Plans submitted to Dublin Board of Public Health, May 1936. Contractors: William Robert Wheelan and Thomas Nagle.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0315, 0385, 0471 (includes 10 bound copy drawings); Fingal County Council, Public Health Housing Collection, no. 1608; IB 76, 17 Nov 1934, 1003; Sean Rothery, A Field Guide to the buildings of Ireland (1997), 125(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DOLPHIN'S BARN, HOUSES (230)|
|Nature:||230 houses on an open site in Dolphin's Barn.|
|Refs:||IB 77, 1 Jun 1935, 476|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 035-36 (PEARL ASSURANCE CO.)|
|Nature:||Demolition and rebuilding of premises with Portland stone front, Greek Ionic half columns and clock tower at angle.|
Building inscribed Arnold F. Hendy Architect 1935; IAA, PKS 0357, 0493; IB 77, 24 Aug 1935, 773; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 422.
|Building:||CO. DOWN, WARRENPOINT, MARINE ROAD, SWIMMING BATHS|
|Nature:||Modernization of open-air baths.|
|Refs:||IB 79, 10 Jul,27 Nov 1937, 633,1057; 80, 22 Jan,19 Mar 1938, 74,242|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, CARYSFORT AVENUE, BRADMOLA HOSIERY MILLS|
|Nature:||Adds & alts. Contractor: G. & T. Crampton, Dublin).
Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 128-9.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HUME STREET, NO. 003-6 (CITY OF DUBLIN SKIN & CANCER HOSPITAL)|
|Nature:||Painting and decorating.|
|Refs:||IB 88, 28 Dec 1946, 870|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FENIAN STREET, NO. 072-74 (ARCHER'S GARAGE)|
|Nature:||Garage at corner of Sandwith Street. Probably begun 1947, opened 1949, demolished 1999 (street fronts subsequently reconstructed to same design)..|
Information from Shane O'Toole; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 574.
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, RACECOURSE|
|Nature:||Jockeys' rooms & restaurant.|
|Refs:||IB 90, 10 Jan 1948, 28|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CULLENSWOOD AVENUE, FLATS (006)|
|Refs:||IB 91, 12 Nov 1949, 1068|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NEW IRELAND ROAD, NO. 048-52|
|Nature:||3 houses (?and a further 3).|
|Refs:||IB 91, 17 Sep,15 Oct 1949, 870,964|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHANCERY LANE, STORE (DOCKRELL & CO.)|
|Refs:||IB 92, 4 Feb 1950, 128|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GILFORD ROAD (SANDYMOUNT), NO. 002 (BRABAZON HOUSE)|
|Nature:||Alts. & add. to old ladies' home, for Association for Relief of Distressed Protestants.|
|Refs:||IB 92, 1 Apr 1950, 328|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SHANID ROAD (HAROLD'S CROSS), NO. 054|
|Refs:||IB 92, 18 Feb 1950, 172|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 082-84 (PRESCOTT'S DYE WORKS)|
|Refs:||IB 92, 22 Jul 1950, 774|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ADELAIDE ROAD, DIOCESAN SCHOOLS|
|Refs:||IB 93, 21 Jul 1951, 762|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLINS AVENUE, HOUSES (006)|
|Nature:||For S. Smith.|
|Refs:||IB 93, 18 Aug 1951, 868|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DISTILLERY ROAD, FLANAGAN'S LTD|
|Nature:||Adds. to office block.|
|Refs:||IB 93, 15 Sep 1951, 964|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JERVIS STREET, NO. 055-56 (EDWARD LEE & CO.)|
|Nature:||Alts. & adds. for Ed. Lee & Co.|
|Refs:||IB 93, 17 Feb 1951, 194|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, DUNLEARY HILL, TOP HAT BALLROOM|
|Nature:||Opened Dec 1953.|
|Refs:||IB 96, 27 Feb 1954, 199|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, BLACKROCK ROAD, ASHTON HOUSE|
|Nature:||Reconstruction for Cork Grammar School. Builder: P.J. Hegarty & Sons, Cork.|
|Refs:||IB 96, 9 Oct 1954, 997|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LONG MILE ROAD (DRIMNAGH), FACTORY|
|Nature:||New factory, for Proprietaries Ltd. Opened 1956.|
|Refs:||IB 97, 15 Jan 1955, 70; 98, 5 May 1956, 421|