Architect, of Dublin. George Carlisle Henderson, who was born circa 1846, may have been a son of William Henderson, QC, of 42 Fitzwilliam Place, Dublin, as this was also his own home address. He appears to have set up in independent practice at 64 Sackville Street Upper by 1867. He developed a particular interest in sanitation and was the only architect among the speakers in a series of lectures on public health held by the Royal Dublin Society in 1873; his subject was the 'Construction of Dwellinghouses, with reference to the Sanitary arrangements'. At around the same time he took ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY into a partnership which lasted for about five years. The partners exhibited a design for a parish church at the RHA in 1875 (no. 235). Henderson was one of six architects invited to submit designs for extensions to the Adelaide Hospital in 1876. In 1881 he succeeded MILLAR & amp; SYMES as architect to the Royal College of Surgeons.
George Henderson died of typhoid fever in the latter months of 1882. In a letter to the Irish Builder the ironmongers and plumbers Maguire & Son, wrote warmly of his qualities: 'He was one of those truly worthy architects who, whilst taking pains to see that full justice is rendered to their clients, endeavour to secure equal justice for contractors, and when good workmanship deserved commendation no man ever rendered it more freely … it is our abiding sorrow that we have lost a true friend and trusted adviser, struck down in the prime of a useful life by typhoid fever, that treacherous disease, with which his professional duties brought him into too frequent contact, and from which he had helped to save many hundreds of lives by his special practical knowledge of sanitary science.'
Henderson's pupils and assistants included CHARLES ASTLEY OWEN.
AAI: elected member, 1872; council member, 1874.
RIAI: elected associate by 1867; auditor, 1869-73; hon. secretary, 1873 until death; elected fellow, 16 April 1874.
Addresses: Work: 64 Sackville Street Upper, 1867-74; 37 Dawson Street, 1875-1878; 22 Bachelor's Walk, 1879.
Home: 42 Fitzwilliam Place, 1874-1875.
See WORKS. See also works of HENDERSON & amp; MURRAY.
www.familysearch.org, citing Irish civil registration Indexes.
RIAI list of members for 1867-8.
Irish Times, 21 Feb 1873.
The partnership appears in The Post Office Directory for 1874.
IB 21, 1 Jan 1879, 15, refers to 'late firm of Henderson and Murray', and an account of Murray's career in IB 43, 26 Sep 1901, 880, says that the partnership lasted for five years.
IB 18, 15 Mar 1876, 76.
B 40, 5 Feb 1881, 168.
IB 24, 15 Nov 1882, 337.
IB 14, 15 Oct,15 Nov 1882, 281,313.
Jones transcripts from Thom's directories, sub AAI.
See note 2, above.
Typescript lists of RIAI officers in IAA.
See note 9, above, and RIAI council meeting minutes, 5 Feb 1883, 222.
RIAI general meeting minutes, 17 Apr 1873, 259; 19 Feb 1874, 259; 16 Apr 1874, 260; council meeting minutes, 5 Jan 1874, 181.
From RIAI lists of members and Post Office Directory unless otherwise stated.
IB 21, 1 Jan 1879, 15.