HANSOM, CHARLES FRANCIS #
- Born: 1817 Died: 1888
English architect, for biography of whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 833, and Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects G-K. Charles Francis Hansom was a younger brother of JOSEPH ALOYSIUS HANSOM . In Ireland he designed a private chapel for Lord Castlerosse at Kenmare House (1858)(1) and, together with Joseph, the Catholic church and Holy Cross Convent and schools at Kenmare (1858-62) which he was responsible for completing after the dissolution of the partnership with his brother in 1859.(2) He was probably also the designer of a reredos and altar for the monastery at Killarney (1871).(3)
(1) B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 665.
(2) B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 665; DB 3, 1 Apr 1861, 472; 4, 1 Apr,1 Nov 1862, 86,276(illus.); IB 54, 14 Sep 1912, 532.
(3) IB 13, 1 Oct 1871, 255(illus.).
4 work entries listed in chronological order for HANSOM, CHARLES FRANCIS #
|Building:||CO. KERRY, KENMARE HOUSE|
|Nature:||Private chapel for Lord Castlerosse.|
|Refs:||B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 665|
|Building:||CO. KERRY, KENMARE, CONVENT OF THE HOLY CROSS|
|Nature:||Convent & schools in mixture of Gothic and Elizabethan styles said to have been designed while CFH was in partnership with J.A. Hansom but built after dissolution of partnership. Bath stone. For Archdeacon John O'Sullivan. Builder: Denis W. Murphy, Bantry.|
DB 3, 1 Apr 1861, 472; 4, 1 Apr,1 Nov 1862, 86,270(illus.),276; IB 54, 14 Sep 1912.
|Building:||CO. KERRY, KENMARE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS (RC)|
|Nature:||New cruciform church for Archdeacon John O'Sullivan, 130 ft long, breadth of transepts 90 ft, height 75 ft. designed while CFH was in partnership with J.A. Hansom. CFH completed church after dissolution of partnership 'but was much interfered with and his designs modified by the PP'. . Tenders invited Dec 1860. Consecrated Sep? 1864. Expense defrayed by Archdeacon John O'Sullivan, who also erected nearby convent and schools at cost of £5,000.|
|Refs:||Lithograph by Robert W. Sprague & Co., in NLI (bought Mealy's Auctioneers, Dec 2008, Lot 1109); DB 2, 1 Dec 1860, 380; B 22, 22 Oct 1864, 781.|
|Building:||CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, PORT ROAD, PRESENTATION MONASTERY|
|Nature:||Altar and reredos for monastery chapel designed by 'Mr G. Hansom, of London', probably Charles Francis Hansom. For Rev. P. Gaynor. Executed by Joseph O'Reilly, Anglesea St, Cork.|
|Refs:||IB 13, 1 Oct 1871, 255(illus.)|