Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Land surveyor, of Dublin. Clarges Greene, son of Thomas Green and his wife Frances, was born in 1778 and christened at St Mary's church, Dublin, on 17 December.(1) He was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 7 February 1793.(2) By 1805 he had joined the land surveying firm of SHERRARD & BRASSINGTON  SHERRARD & BRASSINGTON as an assistant and by 1813 he had become a partner.(3) By 1827 he had left the firm to run his own practice from 49 Dominick Street Lower, (4)and by 1841 he had been joined by his son.(5) Between 1844 and 1847 the address of Clarges Greene & Son, land surveyors and valuators, changes to 52 Dominick Street Lower.(6) The practice continues to be listed in the directories at the latter address until 1863 or later. It had come to an end and the premises divided into tenements by 1874.


(1) Information from www.familysearch.org.
(2) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(3) J.H. Andrews, Plantation Acres: an historical study of the Irish land surveyor and his maps (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1985), 280-82; other references to Greene are onpp.388,397,408. Andrews gives the dates of Clarges Greene's partnerhip as ca 1810 to ca 1829, adding that 'for the latter part of this period he led a double life, running his own independent business from a house in Dominick Street'; in Wilson's Dublin Directory the firm's name changes from Sherrard, Brassington & Greene to Sherrard, Brassington & Gale in the 1829 edition. Clarges Green first appears independently in the directory in 1827. (See note 2, above).
(4) Wilson's Dublin Directory, 1827.
(5) Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1841).
(6) Post Office Dublin Directory (1844); Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1847); a William Henry Greene is also listed at this address and remains so in Thom's Directory for 1863.