GOODWYN, WILLIAM CHARLES
- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Dublin and elsewhere, active from the 1850s until 1906 or later. William Charles Goodwyn came to Ireland in or after 1859, having served a pupillage with William Milford Teulon, FRIBA, in London and attended 'all meetings of the RIBA for 5 years 54-59'. He may possibly have been working in the office of JAMES RAWSON CARROLL in 1863.(1) He appears to have remained in Dublin for the next twenty years or so, but by the time he applied for membership of the RIAI in July 1896 he was living at Dergmoney, Co. Tyrone. The RIAI membership lists show him moving to Ballinasloe in 1898, to Claremorris in 1903, and then returning to Dublin. He may have died by 1908, when he ceased to be a member of the RIAI.
RIAI: elected member, 20 July 1896, having been proposed by JAMES FRANKLIN FULLER ; disappears from membership list, 1908.
Addresses: 78 Upper Leeson Street, Dublin, 1868; 4 Airfield Terrace, Rathgar, 1870; 10 Abercorn Terrace, Harold's Cross, 1877; 5 Metcalf Terrace, Harold's Cross, 1883; Dergmoney Cottage, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, 1896; Ballinasloe Asylum, Co. Galway, 1898-1903; The Square, Claremorris, 1903-1904; 12 Oxford Road, Ranelagh, Dublin, 1905-6.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile), RIAI council meeting minutes, 4 May 1896 and 20 Jul 189, 333; RIAI membership lists and Thom's and Post Office directories.
(1) See IAA, PKS L1 (pp. 490,493-7).
1 work entries listed in chronological order for GOODWYN, WILLIAM CHARLES
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEMBROKE STREET LOWER, NO. 014|
|Nature:||Works for D.R. McDonnell. Builder: John Grant.
IAA, PKS, B07/13