GOOD, JOHN *
- Born: 1866 Died: 1941
Builder, of Dublin. John Good, one of the three sons of Matthew Good, of the Dublin Dock Yard Company, Ringsend, was born in Dublin in 1866. After attending the Erasmus Smith school on Great Brunswick Street, he received his early training as a builder with his uncle, James Pile. He set up his own business in the 1890s and was joined by his brother PETER GOOD in the opening years of the twentieth century. The firm of J. & P. Good rapidly developed into a large and successful firm, which for many years held the the contract for maintaining the Government's public buildings.
John Good played an active part in the public and political life of Dublin. He was at one time president of the Master Builders' Association, the National Federation of Building Trades and the Dublin Chamber of Commerce and served on the boards of the Dolphin's Barn Brick Co. and Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital. He was also a member of the Royal Dublin Society, the British Red Cross Society and the St John's Ambulance Brigade. He stood - unsuccessfully - as a Unionist for the Pembroke constitutency in the 1918 general election and - successfully - as a businessman's candidate for Dublin County in the 1923 Dail Election.(1) He retained his seat, later standing as an independent, until 1937.
Good died at home suddenly on 2 May 1941 after a visit to the theatre and was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery.. He had married Elizabeth Emma (née Sibthorpe), in 1898 and had a daughter, Eleanor Gladys.
Addresses: The Moorings, 59 Merrion Road, <=1911 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the obituary of Peter Good in IB 74, 16 Jul 1932, 667, and from information kindly suppled by Enda MacMahon in e-mail to editor, 16 Jun 2009, citing the Mount Jerome burial register in the Dublin Civic Archive, the 1911 censusof Ireland, and the obituary and appreciation in the Irish Times, 3,5 May 1941.
(1) Building News 125, 14 Sep 1923, 280 (or 286?).
|Good, John||'What is wrong with the Building Industry'||1924||IB 66, 5 Apr 1924, 281. (Address to AAI 1 Apr 1924.)|