O'NEILL, PATRICK J. *
- Born: - Died: -
Monumental sculptor, sometimes also referred to as 'Neill', of 182 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, active in the 1870s and 1880s. For a period in the early 1870s he was in partnership with Patrick Pearse's father, JAMES PEARSE. (1) He appears to have been the father of WILLIAM PATRICK O'NEILL . He exhibited 'Designs for Pulpits, Altars, and Two Statues' at the Irish Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, Dublin, in 1882 (no. 753).(1)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from The Post Office Dublin Directory for 1874 and 1875 and from Thom's Directory for 1883.
(1) According to an article on Edmund Sharpe in IB 46, 18 Jun 1904, 372, the partnership was dissolved in about 1875.
(2) IALE II, 530.
8 work entries listed in chronological order for O'NEILL, PATRICK J. *
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, TRAMORE, CHURCH (RC)|
|Nature:||High altar by 'O'Neill' (probably PJO'N).
P.M. Egan, History, guide and directory of county and city of Waterford , ?.
|Building:||CO. CAVAN, TEMPLEPORT, CHURCH OF ST PETER (CI)|
|Nature:||Monument to George Henry L'Estrange (d. 1870) in form of plain Gothic tablet.
Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 551
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLARENDON STREET, CHURCH OF ST TERESA (RC, DISCALCED CARMELITES)|
|Nature:||Figures in niches and on gable of new transept.|
|Refs:||IB 19, 1 Jan 1877, 12(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL STREET, ST PATRICK'S CHURCH (RC)|
|Nature:||Portland stone statue of St Patrick over entrance by O'Neill & Pearse.|
|Refs:||Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 44 (no.94)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, CHURCH OF THE ANNUNCIATION (RC)|
|Nature:||Side altars, communion railing and statues.
Freeman's Journal, 20 Apr 1878.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEVILLE PLACE, CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE O'TOOLE (RC)|
|Nature:||Sacred Heart altar 'by O'Neill'.|
|Refs:||Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2|
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, O'NEILL STREET, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)|
|Nature:||High altar by P.J. O'Neill & Co.|
IB 30, 15 Mar 1888, 69(illus.); Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 218.
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, AVOCA, CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY (CI, CASTLEMACADAM PARISH)|
|Nature:||Marble and Caen stone panelling in chancel, erected in memory of Jane Gregory (d. 1890) by her daughter. Unveiled Dec 1892.|
|Refs:||Wicklow Newsletter, 31 Dec 1892|