GILL, ROBERT PAUL
- Born: 1863/64 Died: 1928/9
Engineer and architect of Nenagh, Co. Tipperary. Robert Paul Gill, a son of ROBERT GILL , an assistant county surveyor for Co. Tipperary, was born in Nenagh in 1863 and baptised at St Mary's church on 10 July 1863.(1) He entered Trinity College, Dublin, though he does not appear to have studied engineering there, choosing instead to serve a pupilage with MARMADUKE BACKHOUSE from 1881 to 1883 and with Thomas J. Myles, engineer with the Midland Great Western Railway Co., from 1883 to 1884. In 1889 he became the architect of 'New Tipperary', a housing development with a shopping arcade on the edge of Tipperary town for evicted tenants of the local landlord, Arthur Hugh Smith-Barry. (2) 'Robert Gill and Son' of Nenagh were the engineers responsible for the town's water supply in 1891.(3) Robert Paul Gill had himself become an assistant county surveyor for Co. Tipperary by 1900 - perhaps several years earlier - and held the post until at least 1922.(4) He was also town surveyor of Nenagh from 1900 or earlier until 1922 or later(5) and engineer to Borrisokane Rural District Council.(6) He also worked for the Congested Districts Board, actively promoting rural development and co-operative creameries. From 1903 or earlier he also practised privately with JOHN OUSLEY MOYNAN as MOYNAN & amp; GILL,(7) his son Owen joining the practice on his return from active duty in the First World War. In addition to his professional career, Gill farmed at Fattheen House near Nenagh.
Gill died in 1928. He was married twice, first to Margaret Mary ('Daisy') Stephens from Borrisokane, by whom he had nine children, and second to Mary Hourigan from Limerick, by whom he had three further children. His brother, Thomas Patrick (1858-1931), was prominent in Irish politics, first as MP for South Louth and then as secretary to the all-Ireland Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction, while his youngest son Thomas (1924--2010), later became well-known as the politician Tomas MacGiolla.
ICEI: associate member, 4 Mar 1885;(8) member, 1 Mar 1920.(9)
RSAI: elected member, 12 Apr 1899.(10)
Addresses:(11) County Surveyor's Office, Nenagh, 1886-1888; 30 Castle St, Nenagh, 1890-1898; Fattheen House, Nenagh, from 1899.(12)
See WORKS; see also works of MOYNAN & amp; GILL.
Information not otherwise accounted for was kindly provided by Robert Paul Gill's youngest daughter, Evelyn Hogan, Dec 2011.
(1) Information from Thom's Official Directory, from the 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Nov 2009) and from Peter Walsh, 18 The Pines, Beaufort Place, Navan, Co. Meath.
(2) See Denis G. Marnane, 'Fr David Humphreys and New Tipperary', Tipperary: History and Society (1985), 367-378. Bad relations between himself and the local establishment are reflected in the charge for 'assault' brought against him by a local constable in Aug 1890, which resulted in a sentence of 14 days' imprisonment with hard labour, see Irish Times, 15,22 Aug 1890.
(3) IB 33, 1 Feb 1891, 33.
(4) Thom's Official Directory, 1900,1922; he may have become an assistant county surveyor as early as 1886, as he already gives the County Surveyor's Office as his address in that year.
(5) See note 3, above.
(6) IB 58, 1 Jan 1916, 5.
(7) IB 74, 22 Oct 1932, 944.
(8) TICEI 16 (1884-85), ?.
(9) TICEI 46 (1919-20), 149.
(10) JRSAI 29 (1899), 130.
(11) From TICEI lists of members unless otherwise stated.
(12) JRSAI 29 (1899), 130.
18 work entries listed in chronological order for GILL, ROBERT PAUL
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, PORTUMNA, BRIDGE (1911)|
|Nature:||Work supervised by Robert Paul Gill as assistant county surveyor for Co. Tipperary.|
|Refs:||Information from Rose Hogan, granddaughter of Robert Paul Gill, Dec 2011.|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, BANBA SQUARE, TOWN HALL|
|Nature:||New 3-bay, 2-storey town hall, with round-headed door and windows.
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=TN®no=22305010 (illus.), last visited Dec 2011.
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, NEW TIPPERARY|
|Nature:||Housing development for evicted tenants of Arthur Hugh Smith-Barry, proprietor of the town. 97 houses (including 2 new streets, Dillon Street and Parnell (later Emmet) Street) built and shopping arcade for evicted shopkeepers. Contractor: Alderman Meade, Dublin. Arcade opened 12 Apr 1890 but partiallty demolished by Smith-Barry, 1891 (Dillon St and Emmet St remained)..
|Refs:||Irish Times, 2 Nov 1896; Denis G. Marnane, 'Fr David Humphreys and New Tipperary', Tipperary: History and Society (1985), 367-378; information from Evelyn Hogan, youngest daughter of RPG, Dec 2011.|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, FATTHEEN HOUSE|
|Nature:||New house for himself.
Information from Evelyn Hogan, youngest daughter of RPG, Dec 2011.
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, WATERWORKS|
|Nature:||Engineers: Robert Gill & Son. For Nenagh Board of Guardians.|
|Refs:||IB 33, 1 Feb 1891, 33; ?Architect 46, 21 Aug 1891, 120|
|Building:||CO. OFFALY, TULLAMORE, WATERWORKS|
|Nature:||New. For Tullamore Board of Guardians.|
|Refs:||IB 34, 1 Jun 1892, 124|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, SEWERAGE|
|Nature:||Improvements, for Guardians of Nenagh Union.|
|Refs:||IB 39, 1 Apr 1897, 71|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, BORRISOKANE, HOUSING|
|Nature:||RPG appointed engineer to Borrisokane RDC for carrying out labourers' cottages scheme.|
|Refs:||IB 41, 15 Sep 1899, 135|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, THURLES, RAILWAY FROM DROMINAR|
|Refs:||IB 42, 1 Mar 1900, 294|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, HOUSES (050)|
|Nature:||50 labourers' cottages. Cost: £8,000.|
|Refs:||IB 42, 1 Nov 1900, 526|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, TECHNICAL SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Equipment by RPG. Contractor: Dooley.|
|Refs:||IB 43, 12 Sep 1901, 862|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, BORRISOKANE, HOUSES (067)|
|Nature:||67 labourers' cottages for Borrisokane RDC.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 7 Aug 1909, 501; 58, 1 Jan 1916, 5.|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, BORRISOKANE, TOWN HALL|
|Nature:||For Borrisokane UDC.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 1 May 1909, 277; 52, 25 Jun 1910, 413|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, BANBA SQUARE, TOWN HALL|
|Nature:||Improvements, for Nenagh UDC. Structural lterations, 1914.|
|Refs:||IB 52, 8 Jan 1910, 21; 56, 28 Mar,6 Jun 1914, 200,360|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, HOUSES (030)|
|Nature:||For Nenagh UDC.|
|Refs:||IB 54, 16 Mar,27 Apr 1912, 172,258; 55, 2,16 Aug 1913, 504,534|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, ST JOHN'S TERRACE, HOUSE|
|Refs:||IB 58, 27 May 1916, 235|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, ROSCREA, BACON FACTORY|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for making additions.|
|Refs:||B 126, 4 Apr 1924, 600|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, CASTLEOTWAY, NATIONAL SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Rebuilding by R.P. Gill & Son.|
|Refs:||IB 66, 27 1924, 1093.|