CARROLL, THOMAS HENRY *
- Born: 1816c? Died: 1868
Builder and timber merchant, of Dublin. Thomas Henry Carroll, who was born in Dublin circa 1816, was a son of Thomas Carroll, writing and English master, of Leinster Street and Waterloo Road, Dublin, and a brother of HOWARD CARROLL , CHARLES OWENS CARROLL and JAMES RAWSON CARROLL. (1) He was admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, on 21 January 1833 at the age of seventeen.(2) From 1853 or earlier he was living at 56 Mount Street Lower with a Miss Carroll (probably his sister Emily), but by 1857 he appears to have been living at 17 Baggot Street Lower, leaving Miss Carroll and James Rawson Carroll in occupation of 56 Mount Street Lower, where they were joined the following year by Charles Owens Carroll.
Thomas Henry Carroll remained at 17 Baggot Street Lower until at least 1863; by 1860 he had also acquired premises at 70 Sir John Rogerson's Quay.(3) He appears to have been engaged largely in church and country house work. The Builder names 'Mr T.H. Carroll' as the architect rather than the builder of the Church of Ireland church at Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan, completed in 1860.(4) He died on 30 November 1868.(5) He was married to Sarah Frances MacDonald and had at least two sons, Henry Nugent Carroll, who lived on at 17 Baggot Street Lower and continued in business as a builder until at least 1870, when he appears to have gone bankrupt, and John Carroll, who emigrated to the United States.(6)
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Post Office and Thom's directories.
(1) Letter from Thomas Henry Carroll to Mr Mullins, builder, Sep 1860, in IAA, PKS L1 (pp.32-33), and Information from Margaret Osborn, Lonboat Key, Florida, great-great-great-grandddaughter of Thomas Henry Carroll, Feb 2012.
(2) G.D. Burtchaell & T.U. Sadleir, eds., Alumni Dublinenses (1935), I, 137.
(3) Trinity College muniments, MUN/P/2/369.
(4) B 18, 27 Oct 1860, 688.
(5) IB 10, 1 Dec 1868, 301; see also PKS B05/07, pp.502-14.
(6) See note 1, above.
15 work entries listed in chronological order for CARROLL, THOMAS HENRY *
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, ROUNDSTONE, CHURCH (CI, MOYRUS PARISH)|
|Nature:||Plaque on W gable says: 'AD 1842/ Welland Arch/ H.[sic] Carroll Builder'.Is this Thomas Henry Carroll?
Information from Roger Hill.
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, CASTLE OLIVER (ALIAS CLOGHANODFOY, CLONODFOY, & GLENORTHY CASTLE)|
|Nature:||Archt: G. Fowler Jones. Tenders invited 'for the executing the skeleton' Jul/Aug 1845.Stonework contractor: Thomas Carroll|
|Refs:||Photographs of building under construction said to have been taken by Jones circa 1846 in National Media Museum, Bradford; B 3, 26 Jul 1845, 360 (advt. for tenders, & until 9 Aug); 8, 23 Nov 1850, 558-9|
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, KILLEVAN, CHURCH OF ST LABAN (CI)|
|Nature:||THC contractor for new church designed by Joseph Welland.
|Refs:||Inscription on stone tablet over entrance (information from David Lawrence, Jan 2010); Armagh Guardian, 25 Apr 1856; IB 16, 23 Oct 1858, 712; J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes (1929), 214; illus. in Clergy of Clogher (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), Part 1, 64|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JAMES'S STREET, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI)|
|Nature:||Builder of new cruciform church to designs by Joseph Welland.
|Refs:||Ground plan and S elevation, signed 'J. Welland' in RCB Library, MS 139 (C:\WP51\ARCH); B 17, 22 Jan,21 May 1859, 68,344; 19, 12 Jan 1861, 29; DB 3, 1 Jan,1 May 1861, 390,498.|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, RICHHILL, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)|
|Nature:||THC contractor for additions, to designs by Welland & Gillespie.
|Refs:||Signed drawing(s), dated 21 Sep 1860, in RCB Library, portfolio 2B; IAA, PKS A03 (Apr 1861, p.89v).|
|Building:||CO. LONGFORD, ARDAGH HOUSE|
|Nature:||Works in demesne and village - gate lodge,dairy, greenhouse, farm buildings &c., for Dowager Lady Fetherston.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B02/02, A03 (Jun,Sep 1860, Aug,Oct 1861, pp.37v,38v,90v), L1 (p.246,253,314,469,525,555 &c.)|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding, to designs by Welland & Gillespie.
|Refs:||Plan, S & E elevations, gallery plan, signed J. Welland & Son, with appended minutes of meeting of parishioners approving plans, 6 Feb 1860, in RCB Library, MS 139 (C:\WP51\ARCH), also drawing(s) signed by Welland & Gillespie and dated 1861 in RCB Library, portfolio 12; IAA, PKS A03 (Mar,Apr, Sep 1861, pp.39v,89v,90v), bill of quantities, table of timber work, in missing account book (old refs. A/21, A/57); Armagh Guardian, 27 Apr 1860; The Protestant Workman and Lurgan Gazette, 11,18 May 1861,1 18 Jan 1862; DB 3, 15 May 1861, 519; 11, 1 Aug 1869, 175; see also C.E.B. Brett, D., Dunleath, R. Oram & A.J. Rowan, Historic Buildings…in the designated area of the Craigavon Development Commission (UAHS, 1970), 8, which says that part of spire of original church of 1725 was retained; Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 237; exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 199.|
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, NARRAGHMORE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY SAVIOUR (CI)|
|Nature:||THC contractor for rebuilding of nave to designs by Robert Jewell Withers.
|Refs:||Signed drawing, dated Dec 1860, in RCB Library, portfolio 18; IAA, PKS A03 (Jan 1862, p.91v); DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 282; 5, 1 Sep 1863, 149; B 19, 6 Apr 1861, 240; 21, 29 Aug 1863, 624; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 564; Clergy of Dublin & Glendalough (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2001), 310|
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, CHURCH ROAD, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||THC contractor for new Gothic church designed by William Slater|
|Refs:||Drawing(s) for new church, signed and dated Sep 1860, in RCB Library, portfolio 13; drawing exhibited at Dublin International Exhibition of Art & Manufactures, 1865 (no.163); IAA, PKS B02/16, A03 (Apr,Sep 1860, Apr,Sep,Oct 1861, pp.37v,38v, 89v,90v), L1 (pp.40,41,43-46,66,503,&c.); DB 3, 15 May 1861, 519; 5, 1 Aug 1863, 133; 6, 1 Aug 1864, 154; 7, 1 Jun 1865, 143; Irish Times, 7 Sep 1861; B 16, 7 Aug 1858, 539;19, 3 Aug,14 Sep 1861, 533,636; B.H. Blacker, Sketches of Irish Churches (Dublin, 1871-73), ?.|
|Building:||CO. FERMANAGH, KILLADEAS, MANOR HOUSE (ROCKFIELD)|
|Nature:||Remodelling carried out by THC to designs by R.W. Armstrong. for John Gerard Irvine.
Designs (ceilingplans, sections, details of pedestal mouldings, cornices, roof trusses), 18 Feb 1862 in PRONI, D2966/52/1 (see PRONI e-catalogue); IAA, PKS A03 (May,Jun 1861, Jun 1862, pp.89v,91v); DB 3, 15 Feb 1861, 436; 6, 15 Apr,15 Sep 1864, 70,188; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 329
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, GURTEEN LE POER|
|Nature:||New wing. Archt: S.U. Roberts. Contractor: THC|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS A03 ( L1 (p.469,544-5,547,549,569 &c.); DB 5, 1 Jul 1863, 115|
|Building:||CO. LONGFORD, RATHOWEN, SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Works at same (& also at Ardagh school), For Dowager Lady Fetherston, to designs by James Rawson Carroll.
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B02/25, B03/03|
|Building:||CO. WEXFORD, BUNCLODY, NEWTOWNBARRY HOUSE|
|Nature:||Archt: Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon. Contractor: THC|
|Refs:||DB 6, 15 Apr 1864, 70|
|Building:||CO. WESTMEATH, RATHASPICK, CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||Contractor for alterations to designs by James Rawson Carroll, for Dowager Lady Fetherston.
|Refs:||Signed, undated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 1; IAA, PKS A03 (Aug, Nov 1865, p.110v); PKS B03/23|
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, KYLEMORE CASTLE|
|Nature:||THC wins contract for same (but dies at end of 1868). For Mitchell Henry. Architects: S.U. Roberts with J.F. Fuller.
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B05/07, B06/07, A03 (Jul 1868, p.85v); Freeman's Journal, 6 Nov 1875; IB 44, 14 Aug 1902, 1351; 45, 24 Sep 1903, 1987; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 180(illus.)|