GIBSON, WILLIAM 
- Born: - Died: 1791?
Architect and builder, of Dublin, active from the 1770s or earlier until circa 1790. William Gibson was one of the architects to the Barrack Board.(1) According to O'Dwyer, he replaced CHRISTOPHER and GRAHAM MYERS as architect to the Board in 1784.(2) In the same year his set of model barrack plans were approved by the Board.(3) If he can be identified with the 'Mr Gibson, builder' who was examined by a committee of the Irish House of Commons in 1761 on the state of the barracks in Ireland, his connection with the Board started considerably earlier.(4) In 1773, when he entered the competition for the Blue Coat School which was won by THOMAS IVORY , the Freeman's Journal commented that this was his first design for a building other than a barrack.(5) In 1779, he accompanied Ivory on an inspection of the lighthouses at Wicklow Head.(6) He was executant architect for the erection of James Gandon's Royal Military Infirmary in Phoenix Park. 1786-88.(7). He may have died early in 1791, as his salary for the period between 1 January and 26 February 1791 was given to his representative.(8) The will of a William Gibson, gentleman, of Marlborough Street, was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1791.(9)
(1) For this post see E. McParland, 'The office of the surveyor general in Ireland in the eighteenth century', Architectural History 38 (1995), 96-97.
(2) F. O'Dwyer, 'Building empires: architecture, politics and the Board of Works 1760-1860', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 131.
(3) James Douet, British Barracks 1600-1914 (1998), 34.
(4) See JHCI 8, App. lxxx. Gibson's undated suggestion for the water supply to barracks in Dublin is in NLI, MS. 1121 (E.McP).
(5) Freeman's Journal 2-4 Mar 1773 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44); for the 2 competitions of 1772 and 1773, see S. O'Reilly & Nicholas Robinson, New Lease of Life: The Law Society's building at Blackhall Place (Dublin, 1990), 9.
(6) NA/PRO (Kew) Cust.1.152 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(7) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 304.
(8) JHCI 15, ccxliv (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44), but O'Dwyer, loc. cit., above, states that he held the post until 1793.
(9) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 192.
5 work entries listed in chronological order for GIBSON, WILLIAM 
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BLACKHALL PLACE, BLUE COAT SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Unsuccessful competition entrant.|
|Refs:||Freeman's Journal 2-4 Mar 1773 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); for 2 competitions of 1772 and 1773, see S. O'Reilly & Nicholas Robinson, New Lease of Life: The Law Society's building at Blackhall Place (Dublin, 1990), 9.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK|
|Nature:||WG engaged in works in same.|
|Refs:||E.McP., citing 'H of C Index a/cs & papers no 2137'.|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, NEW GENEVA|
|Nature:||Proposed new town to house colony of emigrants from Geneva, designed by James Gandon. WG architect in charge and made plans for individual houses. Paid £207-16-1 for conducting works.|
|Refs:||See E. McParland, James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), 206; Cambridge University Library, MS. Hib.1.790.1, 13-15 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, ROYAL MILITARY INFIRMARY|
|Nature:||Submits design for same, and subsequently oversees execution of building, design of which is usually credited to Gandon. Named as architect by James Malton. Attends laying of foundation stone, 17 Aug 1786.
|Refs:||Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 1-4 Dec 1787; James Malton, A Picturesque and descriptive view of the city of Dublin (1799), unpaginated; E. McParland, James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), 177,204-5|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, STAMP & IMPREST OFFICES|
|Nature:||New offices. Site almost cleared in Aug 1788.|
|Refs:||Undated plans for Stamp Office in NA/SPO 509/26/17; Freeman's Journal 7-9 Aug 1788; Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 16-19 Aug 1788|