GIBSON, JOHN 
- Born: - Died: -
Architect and builder, of Dublin, active in the 1790s and in the first decade of the nineteenth century. According to Hill, John Gibson was the son of WILLIAM GIBSON . (1) He may also have been related to GEORGE GIBSON  , whom Wilson's Dublin Directory records as sharing the same Baggot Street address in 1797. John Gibson joined GRAHAM MYERS as architect to the Barrack Board in 1799, and, after Myers's death in 1801, continued in the post with JOHN BERRELL from 1802 to 1806. He is described as an architect and builder until 1806, when the description changes to architect only. He is presumably the John Gibson who was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of of the Corporation of Carpenters by virtue of birth (that is, as the eldest son of a freeman) at Easter 1793.
Addresses:(2). 8 Baggot Street, 1797-1800; 13 Baggot Street, 1801-1805; 15 Baggot Street, 1806-1807.
(1) Judith Hill, 'Barracks, asylum and model school: public architecture in Limerick from the late-eighteenth to the mid-nineteenth century', Limerick History and Society, ed. by Liam Irwin & Gearoid O Tuathaigh (Dublin: Geography Publications, 2009), 281.
(2) From Wilson's Dublin Directory.
4 work entries listed in chronological order for GIBSON, JOHN 
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PROSPECT ROW, NEW BARRACKS (SARSFIELD BARRACKS)|
|Nature:||New barracks on ground leased from J.T. Monsell, 1795. Architect: Graham Myers. Cost: £13,500.|
Denis Carroll, Michael Deegan, Stephen Kelly & William Sheehan, Images of Sarsfield Barracks (Dublin, 2008),11; Judith Hill, 'Barracks, asylum and model school: public architecture in Limerick from the late-eighteenth to the mid-nineteenth century', Limerick History and Society, ed. by Liam Irwin & Gearóid Ó Tuathaigh (Dublin: Geography Publications, 2009), 281-285(illus.), Pl.12.1.
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, BARRACKS|
|Nature:||'The Works of this barrack commenced on the 10th day of September 1801 and was finished on the 3rd of May 1806 - John Gibson, Esquire, Architect' (inscription on stone tablet on E wall of old barrack guardroom). Contractor: Abraham Hargrave.
Information from Ronnie Herlihy, Cork.
|Building:||CO. CORK, FERMOY, BARRACKS|
|Nature:||New barracks (i.e.West Barracks? see Lewis).
|Refs:||MS. copy book of bills, estimates, bills of measurement, valuations &c. kept by William Deane, 1797-1809, in IAA, Acc. 2009/91 (microfilm in NLI).(NB There is an unsigned undated drawing of the 'old barracks' at Fermoy in NA, OPW drawings collection, Barrack drawings, no. 2272.)|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, WINDMILL HILL, BARRACKS|
|Nature:||William Deane prepares estimate for 'one Private Building three stories high according to the improved plan drawn by John Gibson Esqr for the Barrack of Fermoy'.
MS. copy book of bills, estimates, bills of measurement, valuations &c. kept by William Deane, 1797-1809, in IAA, Acc. 2009/91 (microfilm in NLI).