Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Surveyor and hydrographer, of Dublin. George Gibson was the only son of ROBERT GIBSON ROBERT GIBSON . In 1756 or 1757 he published a chart of Dublin Bay and harbour.(1) He was elected master of the Blue Coat Hospital in April 1760(2) and in 1765 was appointed by the Surveyor General, the Hon. Robert Rochford, to examine all the land surveyors who applied to the Surveyor General's office for certificates of competence.(3)


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from J.H. Andrews, Plantation Acres (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1985), 101,274.

(1) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 15-19 Oct 1754.
(2) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 19-22 Apr 1760.
(3) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 16-19 Mar 1765.