- Born: - Died: -
Architect and builder, of Dublin. William Geraty appears in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1846 and 1847 as 'architect and surveyor' with an address at 66 William Street South. The trades directory section of Thom's Irish Almanac has him at 3 Fownes Street and Springville, Roebuck, in 1848 and 1849, and at 75 Townsend Street and 3 Fownes Street in 1850. In the 1851 edition his address is given as 74 and 75 Townsend Street; in the 1856 edition he also has an address at 40 Waterloo Road. By 1857 he is described as 'architect and builder'. He disappears from the list of architects in the trades section of Thom's Directory after 1860, although he was still operating as a builder from 40 Waterloo Road in 1863. Geraty, whose name is also spelt 'Geraghty' in the directories may be the same person as the William Geraghty who was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 26 June 1833(1) and was also admitted to the schools of figure drawing and landscape and ornament.(2)
Geraty's pupils included WILLIAM JAMES CLAYTON , who made him godfather to his second son, WILLIAM GERATY CLAYTON. (3)
(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) Gitta Willemson, The Dublin Society Drawing Schools 1746-1876 (2000), 38.
(3) Information from William Geraty Clayton's grandson, Brendan Jennings, Jan 2012.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for GERATY, WILLIAM
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARLBOROUGH ROAD (DONNYBROOK), HOUSES (002)|
|Refs:||DB 5, 15 Feb 1863, 30|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, DARK AVENUE, CHERBURY|
|Nature:||Extensive adds. & alts. for Robert Millner, Esq. Architect: Charles Geoghegan. Builder: 'Mr Geraty'.|
|Refs:||DB 6, 1 Oct 1864, 201|