Architect, of Dublin. Joseph Geoghegan, a son of CHARLES GEOGHEGAN , was born in Dublin on 21 June 1877. He was educated in Dublin and at Slough, Buckinghamshire, before serving his articles with Sir THOMAS DREW . He was clerk of works to WILLIAM HENRY LYNN during the building of the Northern Bank in Grafton Street, Dublin. He established his own practice at 115 Grafton Street in 1903 or 1904, moving his office to 37 St Stephen's Green in 1908 or 1909 and to 97 St Stephen's Green in 1914 or 1915. In 1911 he was appointed engineer to Clones Rural District Council, and in 1915 the South Dublin Rural District Council engaged him 'to assist the council's surveyor in the preparation of plans for labourers' cottages'. In about 1919 he joined the firm of DELAP & amp; WALLER , who practised from Northern Bank Chambers, Grafton Street, where he himself had earlier had his office. He later entered the Office of Public Works as an assistant architect, working under THOMAS JOSEPH BYRNE on the restoration of the Custom House and Four Courts. He retired in 1942, and died in 1957. He had married Eliza Mary, daughter of Patrick Hayes, a Dublin surgeon, in 1903 and had at least five children. His eldest or only son Cathal (1909-1990) was also an architect.
AAI: elected member, 1896; joint vice-president (with PAGE DICKINSON ), 1911-12; represented AAI on RIAI Council, 1913; ceased membership 1928 or 1929.
RIAI: elected member, 20 April 1903, proposed by THOMAS DREW , seconded by C. Geoghegan and WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL ; resigned,1949.
RSAI: elected member, 28 Jan 1912, having been proposed by H.G. LEASK; elected fellow, 29 Jan 1920.
Addresses: Work: 115 Grafton Street, 1903 or 1904 until 1908 or 1909; 37 St Stephen's Green, 1908 or 1909-1914 or 1915; 97 St Stephen's Green, 1914 or 1915 - 1917; Northern Bank Chambers, 115 Grafton Street, 1918 or 1919.
Home: Ballinteer Villa, Ballinteer Road, Dundrum, 1903 or earlier until death?
See WORKS, BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the biography of Geoghegan in E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 267, and from M.J. McDermott, 'The Geoghegans' in Irish Architect 61 (April-May 1967), 30-32. A photocopy of a skechbook by Geoghegan of circa 1913, in the possession of his grandson, Joe macEochagàin, 2012, is in Jones File G22 (Acc.2012/58).
IB 44, 23 Oct 1902, 1444; 45, 10 Sep 1904, 598 (not the 'Northern Baptist Church' as stated in Cosgrave).
Dates from membership lists in AAI Green Books; the addresses given do not support McDermott's statement that Geoghegan joined the practice of Delap & Waller.
IB 53, 7 Jan 1911, 20.
Building News 108, 9 Jun 1915, 681; the appointment is also noted in IB 57, 5 Jun 1915, 253.
See note 2, above.
According to McDermott, he joined the Office of Public Works about 1920; however his name does not appear in the list of staff in the Architects' Department in Thom's Directory for 1922.
Infomation from AAI Green Books, lists of members and past officers, unless otherwise attributed.
IB 55,22 Nov 1913, 748.
Handwritten list of 'New Members elected during the present Year' appended to list of RIAI members for 1903 in RIAI archives.
RIAI Year Book 1950, Report of Council for 1949, 1.
JRSAI 43 (1913), 74.
JRSAI 50 (1920), 75.
From AAI and RIAI lists of memebrs and Thom's Directories.