Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Land surveyor, of Dublin, active in the 1820s, 1830s and early 1840s. John Plant Gaynor worked as a draughtsman in the office of JAMES OATES  JAMES OATES and JOHN KILLALLY  JOHN KILLALLY in Charlemont Street, Dublin, in 1821, and was employed by the Irish Boundary Survey in 1827-1828. He appears in the directories as a surveyor from 1828 until 1841 or later, and is probably the 'Mr Gaynor' who was an assistant to the county surveyor for the West Riding of Co. Cork, WILLIAM A. TREACY WILLIAM A. TREACY , in 1846.(1) He may be the John Gaynor who was awarded a medal by the Dublin Society's drawing schools in 1808-7.   It seems likely that he was the father of the Irish-born American architect John Plant Gaynor (1826c-1889) who emigrated to the United States before 1851 and eventually settled in California.(2)   A 'John J. Gaynor' was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 7 November 1839.(3)

Two maps by Gaynor of the Pembroke estates at Donnybrook, dated 1828 and 1837, are among the Pembroke Estate Papers in the National Archives.(4)

Addresses:(5) 56 James's Street West, 1828-<=1841.


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Sarah Bendall, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997), II, 196.

Cork Examiner, 2 October 1846.
(2) http://indiamond6.ulib.iupui.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/HAAF&CISOPTR=2538&CISOBOX=1&REC=9  (2008).
MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA). 
NA Acc. 2011, 2/1/33,38.
From Wilson's, Post Office and Pettigrew & Oulton's directories.