Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Joiner and draughtsman, who with his brother John 'had the entire direction'  of the erection of St Malachi's church, Hillsborough, Co. Down, built between 1750 and 1765, 'and made many alterations in the drawings and plans' which had been provided by an unnamed English architect.   The source of this information is a statement of 13 May 1819 made by a painter and glazier named Andrew Jamison, who had been employed on the church.   Jamison adds that John and Charles were sons of the joiner William Gardner with whom they also worked on the church as craftsmen and comments that 'Charles was a very clever man. little more than twenty, who drew beautifully'.(1) 

Charles Gardner is possibly the same person as the architect or builder of the same name, who erected a building or buildings at Dervock, Co. Antrim, for Lord Macartney, circa 1800.(2)


(1)   C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in…Mid Down (UAHS, 1974), 9.
(2) PRONI D572 .