Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Land surveyors, of Dublin. Richard Brassington completed his apprenticeship with THOMAS SHERRARD  THOMAS SHERRARD in the early 1790s, and had set up in business on his own account at 48 Mary Street by 1793. He continued to work for Sherrard on a contract basis; by 1800 he had become Sherrard's partner. By 1813 CLARGES GREENE  CLARGES GREENE had joined the partnership, his place being taken circa 1828 by SAMUEL GALE SAMUEL GALE . Sherrard retired circa 1832 from the business, which was subsequently called Brassington & Gale, and by 1836 Richard Brassington was devoting some if not all of his energies to his large farm outside Dublin. By 1847 Richard Brassington's place in the business had been taken by Charles P. Brassington. Another member of the family, James Brassington, joined the business in the mid 1850s and remained until at least 1858.

By 1863 James Brassington was no longer in the partnership, and by 1874 Charles Brassington, though still a partner, had bought or come into a country property at Barrowmount, Goresbridge, Co. Kilkenny, for which county he was a JP. His name no longer appears at the Sackville Street business address in Thom's Directory for 1883.

Addresses: Work: 48 Mary Street, 1793; 24 Dominick Street Lower, 1815-39; 4 Bachelor's Walk, 1844; 5 Bachelor's Walk, 1847-1853; 6 Bachelor's Walk, 1857-1863; 52 Sackville Street Upper, 1874-75.


All information in this entry is from J.H. Andrews, Plantation Acres (Ulster Hostorical Foudation, 1985), 170,204,213,280,282,275,408, and from Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's Directories.