- Born: 1843 Died: 1907
Architect and civil engineer, of Limerick. Robert Fogerty, son of JOSEPH FOGERTY of Limerick, and his wife, Martha, was born on 16 April 1843 and christened at St Michael's Church, Limerick, on 8 May.(1) After attending the School of Engineering at Queen's College, Cork, in the 1860s, he joined the staff of the railway engineer JOHN FOWLER in London. His cousin JOSEPH FOGERTY was also working on Fowler's staff at this time. Robert Fogerty then went to India to work in the Department of Public Works in the Madras Presidency. He returned to Limerick in the 1870s and joined his father in his practice there. In about 1878 he was appointed diocesan architect for the Representative Church Body in the Munster Dioceses (except Killaloe).(1)
Robert Fogerty died in Limerick on 29 June 1907 in his sixty-fourth year and was buried in the family vault in St Mary's cathedral. His obituarist in the Irish Builder, who obviously knew him well, describes his character: 'Outside his profession, Mr Robert Fogerty was very popular. In the cause of charity, or of sport, his professional services were always at the command of his fellow citizens, irrespective of creed or class. When some monster fete was to be planned, he entered into the spirit of it heart and soul, and never stayed until he secured its success. He always hated sham, either in architecture or in social life, and, in his own peculiar way, was never slow to show it; but for solid worth he had a true regard. Inflexible of will, it required the influence of true friendship to develop the best qualities of his head and heart, and it is only those who are left to regret the severance of that friendship that know how much there was in his kindly nature to remember and esteem.' Robert Fogerty was married and had at least five sons, one of whom, George, intended to continue the Limerick business.
RSAI: elected member, 11 Mar 1884.(2)
Addresses: Glentworth St, Limerick, 1887;(3) Henry St, Limerick, 1906.(4)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Fogerty in in IB 49, 13 Jul 1907, 487 and from the obituary and account of the funeral from a Limerick newspaper in and album of press cuttings in the P.J. Lynch collection, Acc. 78/34.
(1) An older son, John, had been christened at St Michael's Church on 6 Mar 1841 (www.familysearch.org).
(2) i.e. the dioceses of Cashel, Emly, Waterford, Lismore, Cork, Cloyne, Ross, Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe.
(3) JRSAI 16 (1883-84), 279.
(4) IB 29, 15 Apr 1887, 116.
(5) IB 48, 1 Dec 1906, 970.
15 work entries listed in chronological order for FOGERTY, ROBERT
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, O'CONNELL STREET, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||Remodelling. Reopened 7 Sep 1879.|
|Refs:||IB 21, 15 Sep 1879, 293|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, KILKEEDY, CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||RE superintends installation of new bell.
Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 116, 18 Mar 1882.
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, WILLIAM STREET, SMITH, PARKER & FITT|
|Nature:||New warehouse completed, on site one burnt Aug 1886.Queen Anne style façade to William St in red brick & terra-cotta. Wroght iron gates and shutters. Builder: J. Ryan & Son, Limerick.|
|Refs:||IB 29, 15 Apr 1887, 116; Architect , 15 Apr 1887, 220; Jeremy Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 273|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, WATER SUPPLY|
|Nature:||With R.J. Cruise and J.J.F. Browne. lst sod turned 5 Sep 1888.|
|Refs:||Limerick Chronicle, 6 Sep 1888; IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 125; Architect 40, 13 Jul 1888, suppl. p.5|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BRIDGE STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)|
|Nature:||Restoration of S. aisle, chapels & tower. Builder: J.T. Ryan & Sons. £2450. Reopened Oct 1892.|
|Refs:||IB 33, 15 Jul,15 Aug 1891, 167,191; 34, 15 Oct 1892, 222; Architect 46, 24 Jul 1891, suppl. p.2Jeremy Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 268|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHERINE STREET UPPER, CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY (CI)|
|Nature:||Extensive alterations and improvements, including new art metalwork, brass light fittings and lectern.Chruch reopened, 7 Nov 1895.
|Refs:||Architect 54, 1 Nov 1895, suppl. p.1; Irish Times, 11 Nov 1895; IB 37, 15 Nov 1895, 274|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, KILMALLOCK, SCHOOL & TEACHER'S RESIDENCE|
|Nature:||To be erected. Builder: J.J. Thornton, Kanturk.|
|Refs:||IB 39, 15 Aug 1897, 164|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHERINE STREET, LANSDOWNE SOLDIERS' HOME|
|Nature:||Conversion of existing building into Soldiers' Home. For Mis Elise Sandes. Work 'in a forward state' when visited by the Duke of Connaught in Aug 1900.
|Refs:||Irish Times, 18 Aug 1900; IB 42, 15 Sep 1900, 486; Bryan MacMahon, 'Sandes Soldiers' Homes', Irish Sword Vol. 25, No. 1 (Summer, 2007), 250(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, DUNMORE EAST, CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (CI, KILLEA PARISH)|
|Nature:||Restoration & rebuilding of roof. Reopened Summer 1901 after being closed for four months. Builder: G. Nolan, Waterford.|
|Refs:||IB 43, 29 Aug 1901, 845|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BRUNSWICK STREET, CANNOCK & CO.|
|Nature:||Extension. Builder: John Ryan & Son. £2,499.|
|Refs:||IB 44, 17 Jul 1902, 1334|
|Building:||CO. CORK, ATHNOWEN, GLEBE HOUSE|
|Nature:||Restoration after fire and alts.|
|Refs:||IB 46, 27 Feb 1904, 122|
|Building:||CO. CORK, KANTURK, GLENMOUNT HOUSE|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for carrying out alterations.|
|Refs:||IB 46, 27 Feb 1904, 122|
|Building:||CO. KERRY, TRALEE, PREMISES (MSSRS REVINGTON)|
|Refs:||IB 47, 11,25 Feb 1905, 81,134|
|Building:||CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, HIGH STREET, NO. 024 (MONSTER HOUSE)|
|Nature:||Rebuilding after fire in Jan 1906.|
|Refs:||IB 48, 6 Oct 1906, 808|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, WAREROOMS (SPAIGHT & SONS)|
|Nature:||Alts. & adds. Builder: D. O'Sullivan.|
|Refs:||IB 48, 1 Dec 1906, 970|