- Born: 1907 Died: 1962
Assistant county engineer for the South Riding of Co. Tipperary. John Fogarty was born in 1907 and educated at Mount Melleray and Blackrock College. He studied engineering at University College, Dublin, graduating in 1931. After a brief period in private practice, he was appointed assistant county engineer to the Tipperary South Riding County Council in 1933, when his first task was the rebuilding of many bridges demolished during the Troubles. He was later responsible for many water supply and sewerage schemes. From 1940 until 1957 he was acting chief fire officer for the county, and in 1950 he was appointed the county's civil defence officer. Fogarty, who is described in his obituary in the Engineers Journal as a 'lovable character…never known to lose his temper', suffered from illness during the last ten years of his life. He died on 7 September 1962 at his home, Northfield, Clonmel, leaving a widow, Marie, and a daughter, Alexandra.
All information in this entry is from the obituary of Fogarty by 'J.P. McG' in Engineers Journal 15 (1962), 421.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for FOGARTY, JOHN
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, WESTERN ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM|
|Refs:||IB 83, 1 Feb 1941, 64|