Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

'Mr Lamorock Flower, of London' is described as the 'honorary architect' of the Church of Ireland church at Moyrus, Co. Galway, consecrated on 31 July 1855.(1) The most likely candidate among the very few persons of this unusual name to appear in the English census records is Lamorock Flower (1829-1902)(2) who in the 1881 census is described as 'Major & Instructor of Musketry 5th Regiment Royal Surrey Militia and Sanitary Engineer to the Lee Conservancy Board', then living in St Mildred's Road, Woodside, near Ramsgate, Kent. His wife, Mary Lucinda, was born in Ireland.


(1) B 13, 18 Aug 1855, 395.
(2) Dates from the entry on Flower in the Open University's Biographical Database of the British Chemical Community, 1880-1970 (www.open.ac.uk).

1 work entries listed in chronological order for FLOWER, LAMOROCK #

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1855
Nature: LF described as 'honorary architect' of new church in 12th century Gothic style near ruins of 11th century church. Granite dressed with local limestone and red bricks. Consecrated 31 Jul 1855. Contractor: T.H. Carroll, Dublin. Funds raised by Miss Moore of Lisburn (Was this Moyrus Beauchamp as opposed to Moyrus Roundstone or its chapel-of-ease at Ballinahinch?) R. Hill says there are a lot of small mission churches in the area, and that there are ruins of what could be a 19th c. church in Moyrus townland.) Parsonage and schools also erected.
Refs: B 13, 18 Aug 1855, 395; exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 268