Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Mason and master builder, of White Street, Cork. William Flaherty was active in Cork in the 1780s and 1790s(1) and was responsible, with SAMUEL HOBBS SAMUEL HOBBS , for building the new meat market in Cork in ?.(2) He married Samuel Hobbs's daughter in April 1784,(3) and died on 7 November 1800,(4) leaving a widow, Margaret.(5)  He was probably a son or other close connection of EDMOND FLAHERTY. EDMOND FLAHERTY.


(1) There are references to him in R. Caulfield, ed, Council Book of the Corporation of Cork (1876), passim.
(2) Caulfield, op. cit., ?.
(3) Hibernian Chronicle 26 Apr 1784 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) Cork Advertiser, 11 Nov 1800 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44); his will was proved in 1801 (Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 172).
(5) MS. copy book of bills, estimates, bills of measurement, valuations &c. kept by William Deane, 1797-1809,  in IAA, Acc. 2009/91 (microfilm in NLI);  at the time of his death he was owed money for masonry work for Christopher Cole, Esq. 'in building the house now occupied by The Righ Honble the Earl of Cork'.

1 work entries listed in chronological order for FLAHERTY, WILLIAM *

Sort by date | Sort alphabetically

Date: 1788
Nature: New market opened, 1 Aug 1788. Designed by WF with Samuel Hobbs.
Refs: Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 1788;  R. Caulfield, ed, Council Book of the Corporation of Cork (1876), ?