- Born: 1839 Died: 1892
Engineer, of Dublin. John Bailey, the fourth son of Hinton Richard Bailey of Pittleworth, Hampshire, was born on 31 May 1839 at Wallop, near Stockbridge, and educated at a private school in Southampton. In 1857 he started a five-year apprenticeship with Summers & Day, engineers and shipbuilders, of the Northam Ironworks, Southampton. After completing his apprenticeship, he worked in the drawing offices of H.M. Dockyards at Devonport and Plymouth from 1862 until 1864. Bailey came to Ireland in 1865 to become a partner in the firm of Courtney & Stephens of Blackhall Place, Dublin, in the place of WILLIAM ANDERSON , who had moved to a new job in England. During the next nineteen years the firm of COURTNEY STEPHENS & BAILEY , as it became known, carried out many important railway works as well as other major contracts. Bailey was also connected for several years with the Old Bawn Paper Mills at Tallaght, near Dublin, and often appeared as an expert witness in engineering lawsuits. He retired from business in 1884 and spent the last years of his life in England and on the Continent. He died of peritonitis at Brighton on 5 August 1892.
ICEI: elected member, 1865; president, 1879,1880.
Inst.CE: elected member, 5 April 1870.
All information in this entry is from the obituary of John Bailey in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 111 (1892-3), 364.
|Bailey, John||Presidential address to ICEI||1879||TICEI 13 (1879-81), 51.|