Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. Robert Evans, who was born on 5 May 1898, was the eldest of the three children of Robert Thomas Evans, steward, of Killincarrig Farm, Whitshed Road, Greystones, and his wife, Sarah (née Storey). He served with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers during the First World War and was in France when the war came to an end in 1918. On returning to Ireland he was articled to MILLAR & MILLAR & amp; SYMES  SYMES in 1919.(1) From 1926 or earlier until 1942 or later he was in partnership with EDWIN BRADBURY  EDWIN BRADBURY as BRADBURY & BRADBURY & amp; EVANS  EVANS at 13 South Frederick Street, but he is no longer named at this address in Thom's Directory for 1945. He died on 28 February 1972.

AAI: elected member, 1919; vice-president, 1925-26; still listed as member in 1946 but not in 1947.
RIAI: student, 1923; elected member, 1926; raised to fellow, 21 Aug 1936;(2) no longer on membership list for 1948.

Addresses: Work: 13, South Frederick Street, 1928->=1942.
Home: Farm House, Whitshed Road, Greystones, 1919-32; The Farm , Whitshed Road, Greystones, 1932-39;(3) Iveragh, Church Road, Greystones, 1939-<=1941; Grenan, Delgany, Co. Wicklow, 1941-46.



All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is taken from Thom's directories, AAI and RIAI membership lists and from Philip Evans, grandson of Robert Evans's younger brother, Wilfred (e-mail of 10 Jan 2016).

(1) Indenture dated 1919 in the collection of Mrs D. Millar (information from Buildings of Ireland files).
(2) IB 78, 5 Sep 1936, 780.
(3) This is the address given in AAI membership lists, but Thom's Directory for 1927 gives his address as Hillbury, Church Rd, Greystones, and for 1930 and 1933 as Cahirnane, Kinlan Rd, Greystones.