Civil engineer, of Dublin. James Evans, the fourth son of Levi Evans, farmer, of Bucknall, Staffordshire, was born on 24 January 1862. He attended Northwood Academy, Hanley, from 1870 until 1876 and then served a four-year pupilage with E.M. Richards, MICE, of Burslem. After working briefly for Keates & Bradford of Newcastle and T.W. Whitley of Coventry, he joined the staff of Dudgeon Bros., of Dublin and Westminster (see ARTHUR DUDGEON ) in 1883 and came to Dublin to work on the diversion of the River Poddle in Patrick Street and the laying out of St Patrick's Park. He was then sent by the firm to the island of Labuan, Malaysia, to work on the construction of a railway and improvements to Victoria Harbour. On his return to Dublin he designed and supervised the erection of a bonded warehouse for the St John's Lane Distillery. In 1906 he set up his own practice in Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, where he continued in business until his retirement in 1927. He probably died in 1950, when he ceased to be a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland. According to the 1911 census, he had married in 1887 and had a daughter.
ICEI: elected associate, 1883; elected associate member, 7 February 1916; still listed as a member in Thom's Directory for 1950 but not in the 1951 edition.
Addresses: 27 Rutland Square, <=1887->=1903; 22 St Peter's Road, Phibsborough, <=1906-1911; 12 Great Brunswick Street (Pearse Street), 1912-1927; 39 Hollybank Avenue, Ranelagh, Dublin, 1928-1950.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership applications, IV, 198, ICEI membership lists and Thom's directories.
See English census returns for 1871 and 1881.
TICEI 42 (1916), ?.