- Born: 1794 Died: 1829
Amateur architect, of Edgworthstown, Co. Longford. William Edgeworth, seventh son of RICHARD LOVELL EDGEWORTH by his third wife, Elizabeth Sneyd, was born on 27 January 1794.(1) With DANIEL AUGUSTUS BEAUFORT , he was responsible for devising a way of imitating fan vaulting in lath and plaster for the ceiling of the Protestant church at Collon, Co. Louth, and constructed the same with the assistance of WILLIAM FLETCHER , circa 1818.(1) William Edgeworth also interested himself in surveying and produced maps of Co. Longford and Co. Roscommon, the latter in collaboration with RICHARD GRIFFITH. (2) His pupils and assistants included SAMUEL JONES . H e died in 1829.
(1) B. Burke, Landed Gentry of Ireland (1904),167.
(2) C.C. Ellison, The Hopeful Traveller (1987), 85-87; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 218.
(2) For Edgeworth as surveyor, see J.H. Andrews, Plantation Acres (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1985), 254,350,351,354,356,357,380.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for EDGEWORTH, WILLIAM
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, COLLON, CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||WE responsible for lath and plaster fan vaulting of ceiling.|
|Refs:||C.C. Ellison, The Hopeful Traveller (1987), 85-87; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993),218|