EARLEY, JOHN BISHOP *
- Born: 1856ca Died: 1935
Stained glass designer and church decorator, of Dublin. John Bishop Earley was born in England circa 1856,(1) the eldest son of JOHN FARRINGTON EARLEY of Birmingham and his wife Elizabeth Bishop. In 1860 or 1861 his father appears to have moved to Dublin to join the family church decorating firm of EARLEY & amp; POWELLS . John Bishop Earley followed his father into the business, which he eventually inherited on the death of his uncle THOMAS EARLEY in 1893 and which he ran for about ten years under his own name. In or shortly before 1903, apparently as a result of financial difficulties, he took his youngest brother, WILLIAM EARLEY , into partnership, the business being known thereafter as EARLEY & amp; CO. John Bishop Earley exhibited designs for stained glass and decorations at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1887, 1903 and 1904.(2) He died on 16 March 1935, aged seventy-nine, and was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery.(3)
Addresses:(4) Work: 1 Camden Street Upper & 23-27 Grantham Street, 1896; 1 Camden Street Upper, 1900.
Home: 3 Lennox Street, 1887; 56 Richmond Street South, <=1900 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is taken from notes supplied by Nicola Gordon-Bowe, 22 Nov 1995, based on information from Michael Earley, consultant plastic surgeon at the Mater Hospital, Dublin.
(1) Glasnevin Cemetery records, but Michael Earley gives the date as 1854.
(2) RHA 1887, no. 488; 1903, no. 234; 1904, no. 311.
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) From Thom's directories.
6 work entries listed in chronological order for EARLEY, JOHN BISHOP *
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AUGHRIM STREET, CHURCH OF THE HOLY FAMILY OR ST GABRIEL (RC)|
|Nature:||New pulpit, gift of Mrs Maria Donnelly. Designed by W. Doolin. Also low-relief carving of Christ bearing the Cross on high altar.
|Refs:||IB 37, 15 Mar 1895, 80; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 244.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARRINGTON STREET, CHURCH OF ST KEVIN (RC)|
|Nature:||Stained glass window (Coronation of the Virgin) attributed to JBE.
|Refs:||Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 631.|
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, MAIN STREET, CHURCH OF THE HOLY REDEEMER (RC)|
|Nature:||High altar to designs by W.H. Byrne.|
|Refs:||Design, 1898, for high altar, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son;|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FRANCIS STREET, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA (RC)|
|Nature:||Side altars flanking High Altar and 6 stained glass windows.|
|Refs:||Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; design for stained glass window exh. by John Earley at RHA 1903 (no. 268)|
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, WEST STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, NEW)|
|Nature:||JE exhibits design for stained glass window at RHA.|
|Refs:||RHA 1904, no. 311|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)|
|Nature:||Cartoons to spandrils of crossings. Archts: Ashlin & Coleman. Mosaic work by Oppenheimer & Co., Manchester.|
|Refs:||Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral (1904), 20|