DOUGLASS, JAMES NICHOLAS (SIR) #
- Born: 1826 Died: 1898
English lighthouse engineer, for biography of whom see Min.Proc.Inst.CE 134 (1897-89), 403-5, Thomas Williams, Life of Sir James Nicholas Douglass (Longmans,Green & Co., 1900) (1) and Oxford DNB. In 1862 Douglass was appointed engineer to the Corporation of Trinity House and subsequently engineer-in-chief. According to a note on the opening of the Bull Rock Lighthouse, Co. Cork, in 1889 in The Architect, he was chief engineer of the project, which was carried out under the superintendence of FREDERICK R. FOOT. (1) Douglass also advised on the improvements to the Fastnet lighthouse in 1866.(2) He was the elder brother of WILLIAM DOUGLASS and the father of William Tregarthen Douglass, who was also a lighthouse engineer.
(1) Available online at http://archive.org/stream/lifesirjamesnic02willgoog#page/n10/mode/2up (last visited, Feb 2013).
(2) Architect 41, 11 Jan 1889, 24; see also Bill Long, Bright Light, White Water (1993), 96,116-7.
(2) Long, op. cit., 93.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for DOUGLASS, JAMES NICHOLAS (SIR) #
|Building:||CO. CORK, FASTNET LIGHTHOUSE|
|Nature:||JND consulted re improvements.|
|Refs:||Bill Long, Bright Light, White Water (1993), 93|
|Building:||CO. CORK, BULL ROCK LIGHTHOUSE|
|Nature:||JND engineer-in-chief. Work superintended by F.R. Foot, engineer to Irish Lights. Half of rock blown up to create level bulidng platform. Completed by Jan 1889. eSTIMATED COST: £21,000.
|Refs:||Architect 41, 11 Jan 1889, 24; Life of William Douglass, M.Inst.C.E. formerly engineer-in-chief to the Commissioners of Irish Lights by the author of the 'Life of Sir James Nicholas Douglass [Thomas Williams]' (Privately published, 1923), on-line version at http://pharology.eu/resources/Douglass.pdf|