DORMAN, JOHN WILLIAM
- Born: 1850 Died: 1911
Engineer, of Cork and British Guiana. John William Dorman was born on 9 November 1850, the eldest son of the Rev. Thomas Dorman of Richmond House, Cork, and his wife Charlotte Isabella, née Hobart. RICHARD HENRY DORMAN was his younger brother. During the 1870s he was engineer to the Cork & Bandon Railway;(1) at some stage he was also chief engineer to the British Guiana State Railway. He was one of the inventors of 'Armstrong and Dorman's Patent Facing Point Lock', on which he read a short paper to the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland on 5 June 1878.(2)
Dorman died on 28 May 1911. He was married twice: first to Louisa Madeline, née Stewart, by whom he had WILLIAM STEWART HOBART DORMAN and second to Marion Isabella, née Lewis, by whom he had further issue, including HENRY CHUDLEIGH DORMAN.
Inst.CE: elected member, 7 December 1897.(3)
ICEI: elected member 8 March 1876;(4) had ceased membership by 1890.(5)
Addresses: Albert Quay, Cork, 1887;(6) Raffeen, Kinsale, Co. Cork.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Burke's Irish Family Records (1976), 376-7.
(1) Thom's Directory 1874,1875; IB 20, 15 Jun 1878, 173; in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 894, there is a reference to him as engineer to the Cork Link Railways.
(2) TICEI 12 (1876-1879), 119.
(3) Min Proc ICE 131 (1897-8), 270.
(4) TICEI 11 (1874-76), 96.
(5) TICEI 20 (1888-1890), list of members.
(6) TICEI 17 (1887), list of members.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for DORMAN, JOHN WILLIAM
|Building:||CO. CORK, BALLYDEHOB, VIADUCT|
|Nature:||12-arch viaduct on Schull & Skibbereen Railway line. With S.A. Kirkby. Contractors: McKeon, Robinson & d'Avigdor, London.|
|Refs:||R.C. Cox & M.H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (1998), 261-2(illus.).|
|Building:||CO. CORK, KINSALE, CARNEGIE LIBRARY|
|Nature:||'Mr Dorman CE' prepares plans for proposed library.|
|Refs:||IB 51, 20 Mar 1909, 177|
|Dorman, John William||'On Armstrong & Dorman's Patent Facing Point Lock'||1879||TICEI 12 (1876-79), 119. (Paper read 5 Jun 1878.)|