FARRELL, FRANCIS JAMES
- Born: 1810 Died: -
Architect, of Dublin. Francis James Farrell, eldest son of WILLIAM FARRELL by his wife Amelia Ann Dugood was baptised in St Paul's Church of Ireland church on 5 December 1810.(1) He entered into partnership with his father during the 1830s. He is named as insolvent debtor in the Freeman's Journal for 24 September 1852, the year following his father's death, but is presumably the 'Francis J. Farrell, architect' who is listed at 74 Leeson Street Upper in the Post Office Directory from 1856 to 1860.
Francis James Farrell appears to have died in or by 1867 when probate of his will was granted.(2) He had married Frances Mary (or Mary Anne?) Shepard at St Peter's church, Dublin, on 24 October 1844; a daughter, Harriet Letitia, was born on 5 May 1846, a son, Francis Sheppard Farrell, on 25 January 1849, and a second daughter, Florence Olivia, on 24 August 1850.(3)
RIAI: associate by 1842;(4) appointed assistant secretary, 12 December 1842;(5) 'Mssrs Farrell' apply to be raised to fellow, 12 December 1842;(6) elected fellow, 30 June 1843, having been proposed by WILLIAM MURRAY , seconded by WILLIAM DEANE BUTLER. (7)
Addresses: 13 Heytesbury Terrace and 113 Baggot Street Lower, 1847;(9) 25 Westland Row, 1851;(10) 74 Leeson Street Upper, 1857-58.(11)
See WORKS. For works by William Farrell & Son, see under works of WILLIAM FARRELL.& #160;
(1) Irish Genealogy, http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie (last visited, Feb 2014.)
(2) www.familysearch.com (last visited, Feb 2014). He is no longer listed as a fellow of the RIAI by 1870 (RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, list of members).
(3) See note 1, above. In the record of his marriage his wife's name is given as Mary Anne Sheppard or Shepard; however the baptismal records of his children give the mother's Christian names as Frances Mary.
(4) RIAI council meeting minutes, 30 Jan 1843, 20.
(5) RIAI council meeting minutes, 12 Dec 1842, 19; according to Thom's Directory he held this position until 1845.
(6) RIAI council meeting minutes, 12 Dec 1842, 19.
(7) RIAI council meeting minutes, 12 Dec 1842, 19, 30 Jan 1843, 20.
(8) See note 1 above.
(9) Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1847).
(10) See note 1, above; by 1853 this was the address of James Fraser, landscape gardener.
(11) Post Office Directory, 1857; Thom's Directory, 1858.
3 work entries listed in chronological order for FARRELL, FRANCIS JAMES
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, ERRISLANNAN, CHURCH OF THE TRINITY (CI)|
|Nature:||FS laid 1852; 'within five miles of Clifden'. N elevation of church 'now in progress of erection' exh. By 'F.F.' at RHA, 1853.|
B 10, 4 Sep 1852, 570; RHA 1853, no. 168; exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 268.
|Building:||CO. DOWN, GLENCRAIG (CRAIGAVAD), CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)|
|Nature:||New church in 'Anglo Gothic' style with 60ft. high tower on site granted by Miss Symes of Glencraig. FS laid by Mrs Trench of Cloughjordan Sep 1856. Consecrated 8 Apr 1858. Builder: William Nemick, Holywood. Cost about £1000, of which Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted £300.|
B 14, 20 Sep 1856, 517; 16, 23 Oct 1858, 712; Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 19 (Oct 1856), 356; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 1, no. 7 (Oct 1856), 122; no. 27 (Jun 1858), 547; Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 113 (illus.); exterior also illus in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 192.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DUNNE ST & EMPRESS TERRACE|
|Nature:||Works at Dunne St and Empress Terrace for Mssrs John Wallace & Sons, Bachelors Walk. Architect 'F. Farrell'. Builder: P.J. O'Shea.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B11/53, A07, .182 (Jun-Aug 1883)|