Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Summer Hill, Dublin active from circa 1804.  Edward Dillon, master builder, of Summer Hill, had been '30 yrs at the Business' when he certified a list of Dublin master builders in March 1834,(1) and in 1835 is named as one of the patrons of the Aged and Infirm Carpenters' Asylum.(2)  

In Pettigrew and Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847, an Edward Dillon, also of Summerhill, is described as 'vintner, carpenter and builder'. He disappears from the directories between 1853 and 1857, when only a Catherine Dillon, vintner, is listed at his former address.

An 'E. Dillon' was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 29 November 1827.(3)

Addresses: 119 Summer Hill, <=1822->=1844; 121 Summer Hill, <=1847->=1853.


(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) Freeman's Journal, 23 Nov 1835.
(3) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).