Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stone-cutter, of Dublin. John Darley, a younger son of HENRY DARLEY HENRY DARLEY , was baptised in St Thomas's Church, Dublin, on 9 May 1755.(1) In Faulkner's Dublin Journal for 31 Mar-2 Apr 1778 he announced that he was giving up his ironmongery business at 33 Dame Street in order to join his father's stone-cutting business in Abbey Street. He may however have changed his mind again, as he is described as 'Colonel' in the family tree. He married Helen Sophia Turing (d. 1845) and died in 1808.   According to Casey, a John Darley built several houses in Mountjoy Square in the 1790s.(2)


All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the manuscript 'Pedigree charts of the Darley family in Ireland 1700-1926' in the possession of Mrs R.C Lewis-Crosby (1998).

(1) R. Refaussé, ed., Register of the Parish of St Thomas, Dublin 1750-1791 (1994), 18.
(2) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 201.