Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Surveyor of Revenue Buildings, Dublin, from 1820 or earlier until 1825.(1) Davis's plans for gates to the Custom House and for stores at the new dock are mentioned in the Wide Streets Commissioners' minutes of 15 November 1809 and 5 May 1813.(2) Davis is presumably the same person as the James E. Davis of the Bricklayers' Guild who was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin at Michaelmas 1819.(3) The fact that he was admitted by 'Grace Especial' suggests that he came from elsewhere. His pupils and assistants included JOHN TAYLOR.  JOHN TAYLOR.

An Edward Davis was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 4 December 1794.(4)


(1) Treble Almanac 1820-1825; Whitmore Davis held the post in 1806, Samuel Johnston in 1818.
(2) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
(3) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2.
(4) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).