DARLEY, HENRY *
- Born: 1721 Died: 1798
Builder and stone-cutter, of Dublin and Newgrove, Co. ?. Henry Darley, who was born in 1721, was the elder son of MOSES DARLEY and the brother of GEORGE DARLEY  . He was one of the tradesmen who supported THOMAS EYRE in 1760 when Eyre was under fire for his work on the Royal Barracks in Dublin.(1) Henry Darley worked with JAMES GANDON on the new Dublin Custom House, Gandon having requested that all the 'artificers' engaged on the building 'might be persons of some property, of known integrity and knowledge in their professions, and not given to litigation'.(2) It was Darley who brought EDWARD SMITH to Gandon's attention.(3)
Henry Darley died in 1798. An abstract of his will is listed in Eneclann Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858 (CD).(4) He was married at least twice,(5) first in 1747 to Mary Steele, who died in 1770, and second, in 1771, to his cousin Sarah Darley (d. 1793), widow of ROBERT BALL . By his first wife he had ten children, including JOHN DARLEY and FREDERICK DARLEY  ; the baptisms of six of them are recorded in the registers of St Thomas's Church, Dublin.(6) He had at least four more children by his second wife.(7)
Henry Darley was a subscriber to the Rev. John Payne's Twelve designs of country houses (1757), to the First Volume of the Instructions given in the Drawing School established by the Dublin-Society (Dublin, 1769), to George Richardson's Book of Ceilings (1776) and to Thomas Milton's, The Seats and Demesnes of the nobility and gentry of Ireland (Dublin, 1783-1794). 'Henry Darley, stone-cutter' was one of the members of the Dublin Insurance Company against Fire in 1783(7) and a Henry Darley, not necessarily the same person, was a member of Dublin Masonic Lodge No. 198 in 1785.(8)
Addresses:(9) Abbey Street, 1764;(10) Ship Building, Abbey Street, 1770, 88; Ship Building, Abbey Street, 1783; 88 Lower Abbey Street, 1786-1788; 46 Lower Abbey Street, 1789-1794.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the manuscript 'Pedigree charts of the Darley family in Ireland 1700-1926' in the possession of Mrs R.C Lewis-Crosby (1998) Photocopy in IAA pamphlets, RP.L.24.
(1) Thomas Eyre, A reply to the report of the commissioners and others upon the condition of Dublin barracks (1760) (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) T.J. Mulvany, The Life of James Gandon (1846), 55.
(3) Ibid., 75. A bill for building work from Henry Darley to H.T. Clements for £6, 281, possibly for the Custom House, is in Killadoon Papers, R/1 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) NA Ref. T/1760g(jj) Docukent ID 17152.
(5) According to M.J. McDermott, 'The Darleys', RIAI Year Book (1981), 53, he left a widow named Ann, who lived in 13 North Great George's Street.
(6) Viz. Mary, 1751; Hugh, 1753; John, 1755; Moses, 1757; Martha, 1759; Frederick, 1764. See R. Refaussé, ed. Register of the Parish of St Thomas, Dublin 1750-1791 (1994), 14,16,18,22,24,30. A Henry Darley was married to Margaret Cook in 1781 (131), and a Henry Darley was churchwarden in 1773-4 (58, 141).
(7) Including Edmund, 1772, Edward, 1776, and Sarah, 1778 (Refaussé, op. cit., 58,63,65).
(6) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
(8) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 25-28 Jan 1783.
(9) GLFI archives, membership database.
(10) From Wilson's Dublin Directory unless otherwise stated.
(11) Refaussé, op. cit., 30.
13 work entries listed in chronological order for DARLEY, HENRY *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 004-6|
|Nature:||Built by Henry Darley. (According to Casey, HD built 'at least five' houses on the E side of square and one on W side.)
|Refs:||Georgian Society Records III, 103-4; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 21, 223-4.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 005-6|
|Nature:||2 new houses built by HD.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 224.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAVENDISH ROW, NO. 007-8|
|Nature:||Built by Henry Darley? cf. Craig.|
|Refs:||Georgian Society Records III, 101-2; Maurice Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (1st edition, 1952), 141|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAVENDISH ROW, NO. 009|
|Nature:||Built by Henry Darley for Dr Bartholomew Mosse.|
Georgian Society Records (1909-13), III, 102; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 222.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, YARNHALL STREET, NO. 001 (LINEN & YARN HALLS)|
|Nature:||Stonework of new building executed by HD; 'the Stone is not of the best grain'd Golden hil Quarry and..the wok is not put out of hand in so neat & well finisht a Manner as it Might have been'.|
|Refs:||Letter books of Thomas Eyre I, 79 (Thomas Eyre to Arthur Newburgh, 28 Mar 1859)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRANBY ROW, ?|
|Nature:||HD takes plot on Granby Row.|
|Refs:||NLI, PC 253/2 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 042-43|
|Nature:||2 new houses.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 035-36|
|Nature:||2 new 3-bay houses with tripartite doorcases.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),229.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)|
|Nature:||Completed Van Nost's memorial to Archbishop Smyth.|
|Refs:||H. Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 42, citing Hibernian Magazine, April 1775; illus. in Pool & Cash, Views…in the City of Dublin (1780), opp. p.95.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CUSTOM HOUSE QUAY, CUSTOM HOUSE|
|Nature:||HD contractor for stonecutting.|
|Refs:||E. McParland, James Gandon (1985), 47,70|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET NORTH GREAT, NO. 041|
|Nature:||Nere house 'built on land leased in 1786 by Henry Darly, who was most likely also its builder' (Casey).
Georgian Society Records I, 23; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 211.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET NORTH GREAT, HOUSE FOR LORD HEADFORT|
|Nature:||Bryan Bolger measures carpentry done by James Bowden for Henry Darley at Lord Headfort's house.|
|Refs:||Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A/58/125|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET NORTH GREAT, NO. 043|
|Nature:||New town house for Rt Hon. Henry Theophilus Clements probably built by HD at cost of £6,281.
A.P.W. Malcomson, The Clements Archive (Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2010), 194.