Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Bricklayer, of 17 Cuffe Street, Dublin, active from 1784 or earlier until circa 1820.  James Daniel  was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 1 May 1783.(1)   His name appears on a list of Dublin brick and stonelayers who were active circa 1800 compiled by his fellow tradesmen in March 1834.(2)   According to this source he 'Built 4 houses in Kevin St, one in Cuffe St [and] died wealthy about 1820'.   Bryan Bolger mentions a James Daniel as directing work on a Mr Maguire's house in Dawson Street and as being engaged on sundry works for Mrs Radcliffe in Molesworth Street.(3)

Address:(4)  17 Cuffe Street, 1784->=1818.


(1) MS. transcript from RDS minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(3) Bryan Bolger notebooks, NA/PRO 1A 58 126; the context of these notes suggests that the date may have been circa 1790.
(4) From Wilson's Dublin Directory.